Florida ? what did I get ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th August 2010, 02:35 AM   #11
Bigun is online now Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

OK, I've worked out that it was made in Yugoslavia. It has a sticker on it from the Canadian certification people. No dates.

There's a safety interlock, a red push button held in by the back cover. There's also a notice on the back cover referencing a circuit breaker too. Seems like two good safety features.

The tube compliment is shown: ECC85, ECH81, EF89, EABC80 and an EL84.

There's also a tube EM84 strapped sideways against the front grill.

Speaker is 4Ohm.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 29th August 2010, 02:45 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
a red push button held in by the back cover.
The red push button IS the circuit breaker. The safety interlock is the two prong power recepticle which should mate with a power cord attached to the back cover. Remove the cover and there is no power inside the radio. This was standard on US made TV sets for 30+ years.

And so was removing the metal clip that held the cord to the back cover as was taping down the little red button. Taping down the red button was the reason we replaced a lot of power transformers. A gassy but still functioning horizontal sweep tube was the reason for the little red button popping out.
Old 29th August 2010, 03:08 AM   #13
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Sweet looking three band plus FM.
Old 29th August 2010, 07:38 AM   #14
davorin is offline davorin  Croatia
diyAudio Member

It is "Florida UKT" produced by "Ei-Nis" factory in'60-'69. I have schematic somewhere in books, and if You need it, I'll found and scan it in few days.
Old 29th August 2010, 12:28 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Davorin,

Thanks for the lead ! - I found some information from searching under Ei-Nis. Seems the factory is still in business and making tubes.

The radio I have is called the Florida Hi-Fi Super, made sometime around 1962. It's a couple of years older than I am.

If you have a schematic that would be of interest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FloridaFront copy.jpg (83.4 KB, 234 views)
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 29th August 2010, 01:07 PM   #16
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Thanks for the lead ! - I found some information from searching under Ei-Nis. Seems the factory is still in business and making tubes.
Not according to my information (for roughly a decade now). A shame, really, considering their quality (Philips tooling and manufacturing process) compared to other tubes that are still being manufactured nowadays, but apparently there was no market for those at that time which coincides with economic sanctions imposed on Serbia in the same timeframe.
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 29th August 2010, 04:50 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Blaupunkt also made a "Florida" model which was imported to the US in the late '50s, but this doesn't look like an US model (LW band and "857" KHz on AM band).
Old 29th August 2010, 05:31 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnulf View Post
Not according to my information (for roughly a decade now). A shame, really, considering their quality (Philips tooling and manufacturing process) compared to other tubes that are still being manufactured nowadays, but apparently there was no market for those at that time which coincides with economic sanctions imposed on Serbia in the same timeframe.
Pitty - strange that their web site is still up and running, somebody must be paying for it unless all they have is somebody selling off their NOS stock ?

Who we are
Old 29th August 2010, 05:36 PM   #19
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ei Tubes

Tube Store says they are no longer building.
Old 29th August 2010, 05:54 PM   #20
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
Pitty - strange that their web site is still up and running, somebody must be paying for it unless all they have is somebody selling off their NOS stock ?

Who we are
Check out the "last modified" date at the bottom of the page. Their website is what prompted me to inquire some 3-4 years ago and what I wrote above was response I got from a person who lived in Nis (town in Serbia where the factory is located) and was also involved with electronics so I'm inclined to believe him. He died in 2008 so I have no way of verifying the current state of affairs but the semi-abandoned website is probably a good clue.

I wonder whether the tooling is still there or not ? If it is, it would make far more sense to restart production there than to start production in the UK (considerably lower labor cost - this is fairly labor-intensive process).
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."

Hide this!Advertise here!