• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Florida ? what did I get ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bigun,
There are symbols on there I don't recognize. I'm going to have to take my time.
Just a European style of drawing. If you have any questions, I can help.

Heck, maybe it'll work first time I power it up.
I can't remember, did you say you have a variac? If not, I have one you can borrow or you can swing by if you're itching for some windshield time. :)

-Chris

I can't remember, did you say you have a variac? If not, I have one you can borrow or you can swing by if you're itching for some windshield time.

No, don't have one of these thingies so I may have to take you up on the offer somtime this Fall. Always a good plan to include some :drink:

(after turning off the HT)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Bigun,
I wish we were closer. It would make these things easier.

I can let you use the variac for a bit - no problems at all. I have the variac unit itself that we could swap something for. It's the same model I use on my bench all the time.

Always a good plan to include some
Excellent plan! Then we can come up with a plan to take over the world.

-Chris

Well, look what I just found in the e-waste basket at my work place. No idea where it came from or why it was in the junk pile but looks to me like a kind of Variac. I'll have to see if it's functional and if so, it's going to enable me to progress with the Florida radio at some point.

Attachments

• Variac.jpg
    Variac.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 115
It says Powerstat, watch out or the Variac people will sue you for diluting their brand name!

What's that fuse, 10 amp? That's a helluva thing to be called "e-waste," I bet it was several hundred dollars new, and still worth most of that now.

Plug an incandescent lamp into it, and see if it works as a dimmer.

Radio... score, powerstat... score. Things are looking up eh? :)

BTW I hope something comes of the WE acquisition of EI. Regulations make it tough to manufacture tubes at reasonable cost here but it would be nice if one of our old classic companies could really get back in the business even via. eastern Europe.

WE have EI? that's interesting... heard rave reviews about EI stuff and hated it everytime I came into contact with it .. I think I was just unlucky. Naff ECC83's and EL84's that wouldn't go to spec anode voltages spring to mind....

It came to life !

Well, the radio was rescued out of my garage. I soldered on a power cord. I plugged it into my Variac. I turned it on. Lights came up. The tubes glowed. The magic eye winked at me. And on FM sound poured forth.

It works ! :djinn:

Attachments

• IMG_2413 Front.JPG
    IMG_2413 Front.JPG
    228.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2416 Inside Back.JPG
    IMG_2416 Inside Back.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 55
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.