• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

confused on power transformer ratings

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ive been looking at hammond/edcor/antek transformers but im having alittle trouble understanding their current ratings. Hammond and antek rate theirs in va. Edcor seems to be alittle more cryptic, their dimension drawings seem to hint at the va (last number seems to change from 200 to 300 if the weight goes up).

Whats confusing me is the amp ratings. antek rates there units as 300vac 250ma. so its really 2 300vac windings, and if you parallel them you get 250ma.

Hammond/edcor rate theirs as 600vac centertap 250ma.

So what happens to the hammond/edcor when you do full wave centertap and it ends up 300vac? is it 250ma, or is it 500ma since you dropped the voltage in half? My logic was 600vac 250ma or 300vac 500ma.

On a final note about the antek. Is it better to parallel the outputs and use a full bridge, or run them in series and make a full wave center tap?

Uh the hammond page seems to say the opposite of what you just said, and it also confused me more.

FULLWAVE Choke Input Load:
V (Peak) D.C. = 0.45 X Sec. V A.C.
V (Avg) D.C. = 0.45 X Sec. V A.C.
I D.C. = 1.54 X Sec. I A.C.

FULLWAVE BRIDGE Choke Input Load:
V (Peak) D.C. = 0.90 X Sec. V A.C.
V (Avg) D.C. = 0.90 X Sec. V A.C.
I D.C. = 0.94 X Sec. I A.C.

Whats more confusing, is the dc numbers. Hammond is saying filtered dc will be about .9 x vac. So does that mean that if im shooting for a B+ of 400v, i should get a 400vac transformer, and use caps that are rated for 1.41 x vac?

Using hammond logic, a 600vac ct 250ma transformer will put out 270vdc choke filtered at 385ma.
Using hammond logic, a 600vac ct 250ma transformer will put out 270vdc cap filtered at 250ma.

Using hammond logic, an antek 300vac 250ma full bridge unit will put out 270vdc choke filtered at 235ma.
Using hammond logic, an antek 300vac 250ma full bridge unit will put out 270vd cap filtered at 155ma.

My brain is now broke.

Hi.

Your losing me, pure choke filtering ~ averages voltages whilst pure capacitance
causes near peak voltages. For CLC its peak voltage, the L averages our ripple.
For pure choke filtering the load current must be high enough for averaging.

Choke versus capacitor filtering does not put out the same voltage.

rgds, sreten.

the hammond chart has cap or choke/cap.

Im just trying to figure out how to get 400vdc @250ma with either crc or clc filtering.

I dont want to buy a 400vac 250ma transformer and end up with 560vdc
I dont want to buy a 800vac CT 250ma and end up with something 2x bigger then i need.

I need some learnin to figure out how to translate the manufactures numbers into dc voltage and current.

the hammond chart has cap or choke/cap.

Im just trying to figure out how to get 400vdc @250ma with either crc or clc filtering.

I dont want to buy a 400vac 250ma transformer and end up with 560vdc
I dont want to buy a 800vac CT 250ma and end up with something 2x bigger then i need.

I need some learnin to figure out how to translate the manufactures numbers into dc voltage and current.

Hi,

As your first component is a C then you'll allways get near peak voltage.
Full wave over half wave will give more current, no point in using half wave.

rgds, sreten.

General rules of thumb: Choke (LC) input filter will yield about 90% of the transformer secondary voltage, and cap input filter will yield about 141% (sqrt 2) of transformer secondary voltage. By using a CLC filter and adjusting the value of the first cap roughly between <1uf to about 10 uf will allow dialing in the voltage you want/need anywhere between 90% and 141% of transformer secondary voltage. A very tiny uf first cap mimics the choke input condition, and larger values approach the cap input filter.

To really get an idea of what you'll end up with for voltage and current, download & play with Duncan amps free PSUDII software.

PSUD2

This will allow you to model the transformer and filter before you solder anything and is fairly accurate once you get up to speed with it.

Change the resistive load in PSUD II to a current load when modeling, assuming that you have an idea of your req'd current draw.

Ah boywonder i do understand your logic, as im using it to tune the B+ of my current amp.

Can you help me with my orignal question on translating the current numbers of the transformers? As i said before i dont know if a 300-0-300 250ma is the same as a 300 250ma. Im not sure if the 300-0-300 could be interpeted as 600 @ 250ma so 300 @ 500ma.

Can you help me with my original question on translating the current numbers of the transformers? As i said before i dont know if a 300-0-300 250ma is the same as a 300 250ma. Im not sure if the 300-0-300 could be interpeted as 600 @ 250ma so 300 @ 500ma.

I just quickly modeled both a SS FWCT PSUD model and bridge PSUD model with the following transformers: 300V-0-300V @ 250ma and 0-300V @ 250ma with the same filter CLC of 120u-10H-220u with a load of 250ma and got exactly the same DC output voltage for both rectification schemes (around 345V).

One other thing to keep in mind, for FWCT the diodes need to be rated at least 2.82x transformer secondary voltage (think 1200V Fairchild Stealth); for bridge the diodes only have to be 1.41 x transformer secondary voltage.

What is your target B+ and current?

Last edited:
Whats more confusing, is the dc numbers. Hammond is saying filtered dc will be about .9 x vac. So does that mean that if im shooting for a B+ of 400v, i should get a 400vac transformer, and use caps that are rated for 1.41 x vac?

The Hammond numbers that you mentioned above are for choke input.

Your cap voltage rating needs to be at least 1.41 x transformer secondary VAC. On start up, unless you have some sort of delay scheme, the cold, non-conducting tubes will not draw any current, and the offload B+ voltage will approach 1.41 x transformer secondary.

Are you using a choke input or cap input filter?

1uf, 5 henry, then the main 100uf cap. I can use this scheme to adjust my b+ alot between 300 and 425 which is what im shooting for. Right now im using the antek AN-4T360 360vac @550ma in the simulations.

It seems to fit the bill as i need 350-450 swing for the el34's and kt120's. The kt120s seem to want 250ma per pair at the low 400v mark for max output, but the el34s only need 125ma per pair at 300-350v.

Thanks alot for the simulation help. It cleared things up alot.

PS: how do you sum 2 chokes in parallel since its hard to find a 3-5 henry choke in the high current range? If its 2 5 henry 150ohm units at 200ma, does that turn them into 2.5 henry 75ohm 400ma single unit for the simulator?

Last edited:
Yes, paralleling chokes of equal value will result in an equivalent choke with 1/2 the inductance. They may not share current equally if the values aren't close to each other and the dc resistances match closely.

One thing I've finally realized is that the ratings should be viewed as as VA. Look at your voltage at the first filter cap and use it to calculate the available current by dividing it into the VA rating. Then derate it.

PS: how do you sum 2 chokes in parallel since its hard to find a 3-5 henry choke in the high current range? If its 2 5 henry 150ohm units at 200ma, does that turn them into 2.5 henry 75ohm 400ma single unit for the simulator?

Check out the Hammond 193 series of chokes, they have up to 10H @ 300ma. These are the enclosed, mount on top style.

Also keep in mind that the choke current rating needs to be at least equal to the sum of the desired B+ current + the ripple current.

For 60hz mains, the ripple current=Vin(rms)/(1386L), where L is the choke inductance in Henries.

Last edited:
Among other things, think about cap voltage ratings at startup. A 400V secondary will exceed 550v B+ on start up with cold tubes; the 300v secondary will be about 420v or so. For the 400V transformer, you can always series stack the caps (with equal balancing resistors) for additional voltage rating at the expense of halving the uf, or series paralleling for twice the voltage rating, same uf, and 4 times the number of caps.

With a cap input filter, I would consider a CLC instead of a CRC.

If you need the 300V-425V B+ adjustability, a good compromise (as you've already modeled), is a transformer around 350V or so and varying the value of C1. This will also allow 500V caps to be used, which are reasonably available.

I have a similar question.

First time buy with a CT 350-0-350.

Using PSUII I need to select Full Wave and insert 350V as the voltage to get around 350 Volts(of course depending on the filtering I choose)?

If I need 700V I would connect the 2 outer cables to a bridge (Centre tap goes to ground?)

I have a similar question.

First time buy with a CT 350-0-350.

Using PSUII I need to select Full Wave and insert 350V as the voltage to get around 350 Volts(of course depending on the filtering I choose)?

If I need 700V I would connect the 2 outer cables to a bridge (Centre tap goes to ground?)

I dont think you connect the center tap to anything, or you would get this:

http://i38.tinypic.com/14nzdro.gif

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.