• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube rectifier: AZ1, AZ31, AZ50 vs 5u4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Is there any audible sound signature different between such tube rectifiers for pre amp (only consumes around 50 mA), especially the meshplate one? There is - rare - AZ1 meshplate, but there rest is not. Some brands e.g. Philips Miniwatt AZ30.

Currently, I use 5u4. It sounds dynamic/live. Consider to try others/better. How is the sound/rank of those types?

Thanks,

Ervin L

I prefer AZ, specially Philips or Telefunken, some of them need rare sockets, but reallz great sound!!!

Which one/which type, meshplate or not/solid? Does it matter mesh plate vs solid, as I can't find meshplate in local store anymore.

Are various of AZs just the same - in term of sound signature for low current pre amp (e.g. only 30 mA)-, only current rating and socket/filament is different, or also the sound signature?

Thanks,

Ervin L

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.