• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

SS rectifier for SimpleSE and others...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wanted to try SS rectifier for the SimpleSE since the FREDs blew up about a year and a half ago. I recently ordered Broskies PS-3 for the Aikido and he uses HER108's for the HV SS rectifiers. I had 2 left over and since they were rated at 1KW I figured what the heck? Downside is that they are rated at 1A...but since the Xformer only draws about 150mA I gave it a try. Worst case it blows a fuse.

So far it has been about 3 hours on the SimpleSE and plate voltage went from 455 to 499 with no hiccups and is still very quiet.

I know there were some issues with the IXYS parts - which I personally experienced - so I thought I would share a solution that so far is working nicely for me at least.

With a 375 volt transformer the diodes will actually see about 1100 volts of PIV. This is why I like 1600 volt diodes which are hard to find. If your diodes work, use them but don't go over 2 amps on the fuse.

The issue is that on turn off some transformers will spike to 2500 volts for a brief instant. That zaps diodes that are not avalanche rated.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.