• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Finished K-12 Kit with cedar / brass chassis (pics)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all, just wanted to post some pictures of my build now that I finally finished thanks to the help of everyone on this forum. The amp sounds wonderful, and I am so glad I was able to build it, gaining tons of tube knowledge along the way. Anyway, here are some glamor shots:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sweet looking build!

I wouldn't worry about the venting in hte top - if you absolutely get wedded to the idea, just drill an artistic looking series of 1/4" holes - a line of them across the back of the top plate would be unobtrusive and provide plenty of venting.

As for protecting against kids - durex is best for that!

Congrats on a good looking build.

No, the switches aren't earthed, do you think that's necessary? And yeah I like the chickenhead knob too, though I'd really love some attractive brass switches for the front to really tie everything together, if anyone knows where I can find some nice looking retro brass switches I'd really appreciate it

Picked up some cheap Radioshack knobs that aren't half bad.

Ignore the rest of the board, just a quick job not for show but maybe you can see the radio shack knob on the right of the pic.
Silver with knurled edge. Just a few dollars for a pair.

Attachments

• head small.JPG
    head small.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 127
I really like the retro aesthetic of the chicken head and toggle switches - dont change them IMO...

To better ventilate the interior, what simpler way than raising the top-plate to a point where there is a small consistant gap all around...?

Have fun

Owen

Dunno, I thought that raising the plates was one of the best ideas I had.

mmControls.jpg

You have to use thick plates, though, or it looks cheezy.

To the O P, the switch is an ElectroSwitch long bat from Digi-Key, and the knob is from Chung at VT4-C Studio. Both economical, both good vendors. Chung has a bunch of good looking knobs, all solid metal.

I'll go out on a limb and say that I think chickenhead knobs and industrious toggles with the on/off plate look stupid on a nice chassis like his.

Aloha,

Poinz
AudioTropic

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.