• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Question about connecting grounds

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm unsure how the grounds should be connected in this circuit, not having the PCB. I have the IEC earthed to chassis but all other grounds are connected together but not to chassis.

However, whether the grounds are connected to the chassis or not, I have a problem with hum being fed into my amplifier.

- Should the left channel ground circuit be connected on the board to the right channel ground or should they be separately run to the chassis?

- Should the ground from C1 and C2 negative be connected to the ground from C5 positive or should they be separately run to the chassis?

- V1 pin 4 is shown as "GND" (not an earth ground symbol like the others - is this different?). Where would this be connected?

Can anyone please advise me on the correct procedure to connect the grounds in this circuit?

Attachments

• suphv2a.pdf
    32 KB · Views: 50
  • suphv2b.pdf
    22.2 KB · Views: 48
Keep the heater ground (C5 positive) separate, apart from a single connection to the chassis which could be at the same place as the signal ground connection.

C1 negative should have two connections: one to the transformer centre-tap (which should not have its own ground connection), and the other to C2 negative. Then C2 negative should have a connection to the signal ground. This arrangement keeps the charging pulses away from the rest of the circuit.

The aim is to keep each set of currents in their own loop so they don't interact, but then have a single connection to ground which just establishes a common potential.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.