• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12AX7 heaters from 9VAC transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am trying to feed the heaters of a single 12AX7 from a 9VAC supply. After rectification and filtering, I get 10.8VDC.

I need 6.3V @ 300mA. Is there a simple way to achieve this with just a series resistor? Do you have any similar schematics I can take a look at?

Thanks!

You need to drop (10.8-6.3) 4.5V @ 300mA.
Assuming the 10.8VDC will not drop under load,
Rseries = Vdrop / I = 4.5V/0.3A = 15 Ohm
Power = Vdrop * I = 4.5V * 0.3A = 1.35W ==> take at least 3W to be safe.

If the 10.8VDC drops under load, Rseries has to be smaller too...

Use large (5X your current draw) schottky diodes to minimize the voltage drop. You should be able to get near 12V that way. For a single 12AX7 1A diodes will work fine, but 3A might give you less forward drop.

What topology rectification are you using? Half wave? Full Wave center tapped? Full wave bridge?

What is the ampere rating of the transformer? You may have too much internal IR Drop.

What size capacitor do you have?

How much ripple (AC) riding on the DC?

heater center tap

There is a center tap on the heater of the 12AX7, making it two six.threes (nine). I've been rectifying the AC heater supply of my H182 organ to try to get some dc to bias a NFET gate, I cant get more than 5 VDC, so I think Hammond runs their heaters at about 5 vac. The tubes lasted 42 years so far, and they don't hardly glow. Go the the flea market, buy a 6VAC wall plug transformer, they are $1 here at the charity resale shops.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.