• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cant stop Aikido Humming

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just finished the Aikido preamp. And I can't stop it from loud humming. The hum seems to come from the volume pot to the input on the board. When the volume pot is closed, there is no noise, but as soon as I open the pot, I get a real loud humming. Any solutions? This thing is driving me crazy, I replaced the pot with just a couple of 75k resistors and it is still humming.

Thanks guys, I did a few things, I connected the shield from ECC88 to the ground, added 20R to the chassis ground and added 360K resistors across the output RCA's and the noise is reduced considerably. Does that seem right? Or are there other things I can try as well? Thanks again,

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Toufu,

Do you have coupling capacitors on the input to the tubes? I have had pick up on these when the volume is turned up! I cured this by wrapping foil around the caps and connecting a drain wire from the foil to ground! You must insulate the foil from any power on the amp! Its something you could try!

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.