• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Grid Bias provided by transformer secondary winding, what is this stuff about?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I recently bought a couple of power transformers with a winding dedicated to grid bias. I have never biased a grid this way. I have used autobias with a cathode resistor, LED’s, CCS’s and the like.
Will someone explain the methods using a dedicated secondary winding, perhaps examples? Are there options including old school without solid state devices and the new hybrid methods of doing things?
DT
All just for Fun!

Instead of raising the cathode above the grid with a resistor/LED/CCS to make your grid negative relative to the cathode, you ground the cathode and use a voltage divider or something similar (after a coupling cap) to apply a negative DC bias voltage to the grid.
As leadbelly said, search for "fixed bias".

Hello Brain Trust,
To bump this back up on the list.
I have searched; I did search “fixed bias” prior to posting this thread.
There seems to be a hole in the collective knowledge base. In my searches there are many glancing references to “fixed bias”. I did not find anything substantive. Some days I am a nuts and bolts hands on practitioner. I did not find any examples of how it is done. Any experience doing “fixed bias”, any examples?
DT
All just for Fun!

Last time I used it I had a separate winding for bias, followed by a 'upside down' power supply to get a negative voltage. It is connected to the grid after the coupling capacitor through a pot and a resistor.
A 10 ohm cathode resistor is handy for measuring bias.

Hope this helps.

There seems to be a hole in the collective knowledge base.

Drama major?

Any experience doing “fixed bias”, any examples?

How about the most ubiquitous tube amp of all:
Dynaco-ST70-Tube-Amp-Schematic.png

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
I would just add that the negative voltage is applied to the grouded end of whatever is acting as the "grid leak" of the tube (usually a resistor), as in that ST70 schematic. It's more usual, though, to provide a separate negative voltage source (a potentiometer network) for each tube in a push-pull circuit, to allow the currents to be balanced.

Also, the maximum value of the grid leak resistor with fixed bias is generally less than with cathode bias. This can make driving a fixed bias output circuit more difficult.

I would just add that the negative voltage is applied to the grouded end of whatever is acting as the "grid leak" of the tube (usually a resistor), as in that ST70 schematic. It's more usual, though, to provide a separate negative voltage source (a potentiometer network) for each tube in a push-pull circuit, to allow the currents to be balanced.

Also, the maximum value of the grid leak resistor with fixed bias is generally less than with cathode bias. This can make driving a fixed bias output circuit more difficult.

Hello ray_moth,
Thank You, not so simple after all.
I was considering that there could be differences with grid drain and grid stop resistors. I like the idea of being able to optimize / adjust the idle bias and idle current.
DT
All just for Fun!

Hi DT.

I have just implemented a very simple grid bias system from my B+.

Just modified the psu to supply a negative voltage also (2 more caps, 3 resistors, 1 trimmer: I have plenty of grid bias to power 6080 output tubes.

Also another method which worked was a small cheap transformer in reverse to a 6.3 or 12.6 heater winding.

eg. 220/12 = 115 volts from a 6.3 heater winding.
Add a rectifier and a small cap/resistor (for neg. voltage of course), trimmer and you have enough to drive your grids.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.