• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My first amp - a direct coupled 2A3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Great Job Wardsweb!!

It's as nice looking underneath with that terrif layout and killer workmanship as it is from the top - and that's saying something!!

My compliments - that is one sweet little amp you've got.

All the best,
Morse

PS It looks like you're using a 716P Orange Drop in there, but I don't recognise the blue/green caps. What brand are they if you don't mind my asking? Also, what are you using for insulation - it looks nothing like the run of the mill shrink tubing I use. PTFE perhaps?

Well, kind of. I've been in electronics for over 20 years and spent ten years working for a research & development firm. I did a lot of stuff for the Military and NASA. I've worked everything from hand wire wrapping prototypes to hot air surface mount rework. My passion lies in audio where my two lives come together.

Done some of that myself but still can't work to proper prototype standards:eek:

Really nice loom work. It very nice to see it done properly instead of using small tie-wraps.:nod:

Your amps are beautiful inside and out - real works of art.

ciao

James

Morse said:
...PS It looks like you're using a 716P Orange Drop in there, but I don't recognise the blue/green caps. What brand are they if you don't mind my asking? Also, what are you using for insulation - it looks nothing like the run of the mill shrink tubing I use. PTFE perhaps?

Not sure that I understood until I realized you were talking about the Bottlehead Foreplay preamp I built. Although it doesn't look anything like the "kit build" it is true to the schematic and uses the core kit parts. The output caps came in the kit and have just been referred to as "green meanines". I have since replaced them with Gudeman oil and paper caps. The insulation is not heat shrink. It is fiberglass cloth.

thought I would let you see a before picture. I do the layout as I go, so it takes a while for me to see it in my head.

amplayout.jpg

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello everybody,
This has been a topic with some nice ideas and photos. It is my job making holes using cnc punching and nibbling machines, so i don't have to use these things that are actually circuitboards which seems to add something to the sound BUT they will surely make life easy for a lot of diy-people. Because sometimes you really see awfull creatures that will not pass any safetytest. In some pictures i do see some S.. capacitors. I have been using them in my cross-over, then replaced by Mit, then Teflon ( Csi ), then General Electric ( foil in oil? ) and now Philips n.o.s. paper in oil surplus the cheapest but the best. I think you must not use tie-raps with low grade foil or metalisezed caps because someday you will get a short ( i can see the " print'' made by the tie-rap on one of the pictures). This kind of constructing makes it possible to upgrade components. I will give you the advice to try it. I have nothing for sale, but i am sure you can find something more musical. Ed

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
HOW TO WRECK A FILMCAP...

Hi,

I think you must not use tie-raps with low grade foil or metalisezed caps because someday you will get a short ( i can see the " print'' made by the tie-rap on one of the pictures). This kind of constructing makes it possible to upgrade components. I will give you the advice to try it. I have nothing for sale, but i am sure you can find something more musical. Ed

Ed, good to see you posting again.

You're absolutely correct...those tiewraps should be used very, very carefully if at all.

I don't see any use for them anyway...:dodgy:

Cheers,;)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello, I do remember these Solen capacitors as being extremely fragile on the outside. Mabe the first production runs were a bit better then those made nowadays. But i think they are to cheap to be good. But this building technique will allow you to replace them in the near future. Succes, Ed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.