Variable Harmonizer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th July 2010, 09:31 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Default Variable Harmonizer

Some people insist that we love tubes for their specific sweet distortions.

Here is a thingy that allows to control such a "Tubiness".

Try and report, how do you like details, soundstage, etc...

A single channel drawn. For stereo 100K audio taper must be dual. Dial it in and find the sweet spot you prefer.

Very cheap 6J6 tubes were used (1 tube per channel), very simple schematic with few components.

It may be used as a preamp as well, voltage amplification factor is about 20.

Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: gif harmonizer.gif (35.0 KB, 798 views)

Last edited by Wavebourn; 30th July 2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:06 AM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Why build a cheap circuit like this? That won't impress anyone. Much better to pay good money for a badly-designed prettily-packaged tube buffer built to Chinese safety standards. Then you can impress yourself and your friends with how fine is the discrimination of your ears and the rest of your system when you hear the 'improvement' it brings to the sound.
Old 30th July 2010, 11:48 AM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, that's the problem- it hurts to admit that you're after a signal processing device rather than "musical truth." Wavebourn has committed the cardinal sin of actually saying out loud that his circuit is specifically meant to distort in order to please the ear. I predict that his design will not find use outside of MI, since he gave away the game right up front.
Old 30th July 2010, 12:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Oh, the humanity!

Would this would work with 6Dj8's?

You can't get away from distortion, not easily and not without paying a price. Sometimes it is better to improve the distortions you cannot avoid...

- keantoken
Old 30th July 2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
Here is a thingy that allows to control such a "Tubiness".
What a novel idea, "tubeness squared" The really cool part is that by adding just one more stage (one tube conencted like the right one in schematic) you get the tubeness cubed and each successive stage increases tubeness output exponentially ! Tubeness doesn't merely add up as it happens in most cases with to audio devices.
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 30th July 2010, 01:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I predict that his design will not find use outside of MI, since he gave away the game right up front.
However if it was marketed as a "hyperspace sound clarifier" with a slick marketing campaign and a couple of well greased magazine reviews, he could sell them for $2000 each. After all you need to capture all of those cosmic rays that snuck into your $1500 interconnects and return them to hyperspace where they belong!
Old 30th July 2010, 01:53 PM   #7
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Cool!
I'm kinda with keantoken on this. The signal chain from microphone to your speakers is a long one. Every circuit along the way is going to mess with the harmonics of the signal. Mostly suppressing even order harmonics. If you could "dial them back in" it might go a long way toward a cleaner sounding signal.

How about "Harmonic Balancer"?
Old 30th July 2010, 02:39 PM   #8
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I say leave the harmonic manipulations to SS amps. In those cases they are trying to emulate tube amps. It's simply perverse to apply this back to a tube amp.

There are plenty of tubes that can provide the kind of tubiness being sought - almost any triode with enough 'leaning curves' will do the trick.

And I don't think the harmonic profile is a sufficient condition. Having build a SS amp with control over the even harmonics [TGM amp goes 'tubey' and having listened to my Cellini tube amp I can say with some conviction that for my ears, the harmonic profile is not at all sufficient to produce a tube sound. By itself, the harmonic profile is a blind alley.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Last edited by Bigun; 30th July 2010 at 02:42 PM.
Old 30th July 2010, 03:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thank you Bigun, you have made it clear I will have to build or buy some kind of tube device...

It is possible that if you connect two SE devices of opposite polarity, the 2nd harmonics may cancel and leave thirds. I don't know how often this occurs, but it is worth considering. It could be corrected by using a coupling transformer to reverse ground and signal wires...

- keantoken
Old 30th July 2010, 03:35 PM   #10
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think you'll enjoy playing with some tubes, perhaps it will be an ear-opener! - just don't touch the HT....
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.

Hide this!Advertise here!