Circlotron questions - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th August 2011, 09:06 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8Ter View Post
I hope you do not mind I have some questions on my HUGE and i mean huge mono blocks..the amp was configured with a 12ax7 voltage gain.. to a 12bl7 driver bootstrapped etc...I thought the amp sounded slow... kinda weird but..anyways I decided to mess around ...did some experimentation on just using the 7199 driving a interstage ..... that did not work. and i dont have a schematic so ...what i am asking ... can someone help me design a good sounding front end to drive the 4.. 2 parallel 6n45c tubes per chanel.....did i mention this thing is a monster!...

Thanks for your help
Difficult to make any recommendations without seeing a schematic to find Exactly How and whats there already!

Is it a circlotron? 6n45c is basically an EL509, so this amp aint THAT huge!
Is this an OTL? or does it have output Tx? Why did/how did you add an Interstage Tx? (A step backwards IMHO, Unless you paid a fortune for the interstage, as GOOD ones are megabux!)

What do you mean by 'Slow'?? Lack of treble? Boomy bass? lack of clarity?--what?
How does a Slow amp sound in comparison to a 'Fast' amp!!

--Like asking how can I improve a cake recipe--Without the recipe to start with!
Blindly chopping/changing components is not the way forward,--no matter WHAT the 'audiofools' say!
Old 30th August 2011, 04:19 PM   #22
Sk8Ter is offline Sk8Ter  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair E View Post
Difficult to make any recommendations without seeing a schematic to find Exactly How and whats there already!

Is it a circlotron? 6n45c is basically an EL509, so this amp aint THAT huge!
Is this an OTL? or does it have output Tx? Why did/how did you add an Interstage Tx? (A step backwards IMHO, Unless you paid a fortune for the interstage, as GOOD ones are megabux!)

What do you mean by 'Slow'?? Lack of treble? Boomy bass? lack of clarity?--what?
How does a Slow amp sound in comparison to a 'Fast' amp!!

--Like asking how can I improve a cake recipe--Without the recipe to start with!
Blindly chopping/changing components is not the way forward,--no matter WHAT the 'audiofools' say!
quote: Is it a circlotron? 6n45c is basically an EL509, so this amp aint THAT huge!

here you go sir..

Click the image to open in full size.

The amp is a circlotron..what i mean by slow is transit response seems slow its hard to describe...that's why i was playing around with interstage (eletraprint) transformers etc.......
I do remember that the man said it was kinda build/designed off of the electrovoice 100a etc..

Please help i would like to get these back up and running..
Old 30th August 2011, 04:34 PM   #23
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Quote:
I do remember that the man said it was kinda build/designed off of the electrovoice 100a etc..
Circlotron History Page

electrovoice 100a schematic
Old 30th August 2011, 04:57 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
Circlotron History Page

electrovoice 100a schematic
Thanks for the link but i seen that and i dont necessarily want to put it back that way..
Old 30th August 2011, 09:25 PM   #25

well, you mentioned electrovoice

but your isn't, since it appears to be pure OTL
but if the builder said electrovoice style, I guess it means circlotron design

I don't how much power you can do with such 4 tubes
maybe on the low side
could it be the reason you feel its a bit 'slow' ?
lack of power ?
or high output impedance maybe ?
could be your speakers have a problem with this ?
maybe you need new tubes ?
and proper adjustment ?
Old 30th August 2011, 09:42 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default No Sir

Look again this is not an OTL..the 2 gigantic tranformers on top ..one is an output and one is a mains transformer...the small trannies inside are the other supplys...it benched at 300wpc.... remember this is mono amp...I have another one..

Lawrence
Old 30th August 2011, 09:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Look again this is not an OTL..the 2 gigantic tranformers on top ..one is an output and one is a mains transformer...
ahh, ok, I thought about that too, but....

well, then the output trafo appears to be a 'converted' mains power trafo

but 300watt and its not 'just' power consumption you measure ?
Old 30th August 2011, 11:03 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinitus View Post
ahh, ok, I thought about that too, but....

well, then the output trafo appears to be a 'converted' mains power trafo

but 300watt and its not 'just' power consumption you measure ?
No sir 300wpc...the power transformer is sized correctly and to look like the output (symmetry) he winds his own power and outputs!!!

I actually saw him bench it...300wpc! thats why i wanted this monster...super hi quality build....the guy who built this is my friends buddy in WI his name is Joe halser .....but he suggests to just put it back to original etc..but i want to move on to a different/more better topology
Old 30th August 2011, 11:13 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

I would suggest doing a frequency response test, a distortion spectrum test at low and at moderate power out, and an output impedance test first, before doing any mods. Also determine whether global feedback is used. A schematic would be most usefull too. Then any deficiencies can be dealt with in designing a new front end if required, or just some mods to the existing setup. The 4 6n45c tubes should be capable of 300 Watts. It shouldn't sound "slow" unless something is remiss.

Last edited by smoking-amp; 30th August 2011 at 11:15 PM.
Old 31st August 2011, 05:08 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking-amp View Post
I would suggest doing a frequency response test, a distortion spectrum test at low and at moderate power out, and an output impedance test first, before doing any mods. Also determine whether global feedback is used. A schematic would be most usefull too. Then any deficiencies can be dealt with in designing a new front end if required, or just some mods to the existing setup. The 4 6n45c tubes should be capable of 300 Watts. It shouldn't sound "slow" unless something is remiss.

Sir I cannot do any testing until these amps are functional.....hence the reason for posting......anyone have a better working idea for voltage gain and drive?..both have to use 9 pin tubes...so no octal or loctal..etc.

Thanks

Lawrence

Hide this!Advertise here!