• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ARC Power source+ 12AX7&12AU7 Pre-amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has wanted since to design a perfect vacuum tube Pre-amplifier,This time will make a new attempt.
Will use ARC the power source and 12AX7,12AU7 unifies.
Schematic diagram.

Attachments

• X7 u7.gif
    X7 u7.gif
    7.1 KB · Views: 180
  • ARC P.jpg
    ARC P.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 180
What definition of the word "perfect" are you using? This preamp has too much gain for almost all purposes, runs the 12AU7 at too low a current for linearity, is likely to have a fairly high output impedance due to the unbypassed cathode resistor at the output (in spite of global negative feedback which will help), and may have a noisy input due to the high resistor values at the 12AX7 cathode.

With the signal suitably attenuated to avoid overloading it might add some "tube warmth", but if you remove everything after the volume control it will be more accurate and much cheaper.

I think you need to try again, but bear in mind that most systems don't actually need a preamp at all.

Several thoughts. 12AX7 tubes are very linear,if the cathode is attached to a very high voltage or using a good CSS. This also maximises their gain. Since the gain is already more than required, a lower gain tube may be more attractive.
The power supply is competently designed, if uninspired. As it is already pointed out, it is too low for the design as presented.
Have you considered a shunt power supply? It is certainly more fashionable right now, and has technical advantages (and disadvantages) over conventional regulators.

If it were me, and I needed some gain, I would buy an octal Aikido board and use 6SN7GT tubes. If I did not need gain, a Heretical, a B1, or a TVC are all worthy options.

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

Thanks everybody's suggestion very much, But the best vacuum tube amplifier, must have good power. This reminds me of the ARC, as shown below.I want to do with this power, should be able to design a more quiet pre-amplifiers.
I will use 300V DC to supply power, but is not 210V.

Attachments

• ARC P.jpg
    ARC P.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.