• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6AS7 Idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried using two 6AS7/6080 dual regulator tubes as pseudo diodes in a fullwave bridge rectifier?
As I can see these tubes should be quite suitable for this, they have low Rp, high max. cathode current and high heater-cathode isolation voltage.

The reason I came up with the idea is that I have some power transformers with high current 6,3V windings and non-CT HV windings.
Using silicon rectifiers together with those transformers would result in an unusable high voltage, besides I want my tube amps to be as free from silicon contaminations as possible:dead:

On second thought, I guess one 6AS7 would be enough if it is completed by two silicon diodes (a hybrid bridge rectifier).
OK, I know what I just wrote about silicon butwhat the heck...

???

Sch3mat1c said:
H-K insulation will be insufficient for much voltage.

Tim

Hi Tim ,
If a separate filament winding is used for the 6080 and is connected to the cathode , there should not be a problem with h-k , although sectional matching of 6080 do not seem too good . There was a lot of debate about 6080 in this application on the Joenet . I agree that dampers are excellent and inexpensive :nod:

316a

Dampers

Hello ,
As you're in Europe , try looking out for some PY500a . Mullards are excellent as are Tungsram which appear to use the same tooling but have welded anodes . There are literally tens of thousands of these available . These were used in the last generation of colour TV sets , replacements were manufactured well into the 1980's so I doubt these will run dry for several years ! Benefits include low volt drop , high current delivery , low price . :)

316a

Huh ?

Joel said:
"Low price" 316a? Are you penny pinchers trying to advance the state of audio or not?

Penny pinching and using valves which are cheap but have genuine advantages are two completely different things . I'm sure others out there can concur than PY500a is an excellent valve :nod: but I doubt you have tried them :dead:

316a

fdegrove said:
Back to the 6080, sure you can turn any triode into a rectifier.
Just remember, as has been pointed out, you'd need to match this formidable dual triode and than use it as a rectifier.

Personally I'd rather put this excellent sounding valve to better use, after all there must still be tons of otherwise useless rectifier valve around...if ever that supply were to dry up than maybe, just maybe.

OTOH, it may be an interesting experiment nonetheless...provide both halve are reasonably matched.

Cheers,;)

I have some 7586 nuvistors , the only use for them I can think of at present is to turn them into cuff-links :clown: Class B is a topology I do not wish to dabble with , I do not need high power and would rather rely on a simple yet rugged power supply avoiding that nasty crossover stuff . Anyone wanting class b is welcome to it , I'll stick to pure class A :)
I wonder how a 6080 strapped as a rectifier would actually sound ? I'll have to dive through the archives on the Joenet to find out how the discussion there was concluded . With the cost of say a pair of EY84 , EY81 , PY801 or PY500a as mentioned I doubt it would be worthwhile even bothering trying a 6080 unless I was really bored

316a

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

With the cost of say a pair of EY84 , EY81 , PY801 or PY500a as mentioned I doubt it would be worthwhile even bothering trying a 6080 unless I was really bored

Being bored is must...;)

If you're listening to the PSU than something is definetely wrong with the design, wouldn't you say?

BTW, I've no idea what the current price is but about 10 years ago 7586s were sold to dealers at 100$ +/EA...fancy cuff-links indeed and you don't even see its' charming glow...must be a transnukestor?

Cheers,;)

Cufflinks

fdegrove said:
BTW, I've no idea what the current price is but about 10 years ago 7586s were sold to dealers at 100$ +/EA...fancy cuff-links indeed and you don't even see its' charming glow...must be a transnukestor?

Cheers,;)

I have some expensive tastes ! Maybe I should do something really silly with the nuvistors : like using them as an amp input stage or heat them up with a blowtorch for ten minutes . They'd soon glow then ! :clown:

316a

Nah, I checked the maximum heater-cathode voltage again and it wasn´t as high as I remembered. After all, it was just an idea.

Still I do have a few that I´ll put to use at some time.
When I think about it I have all the iron needed for a SRPP/parafeed amp similar to the one Robert Morin has designed.

Yep, some day after I´ve:

1: Finished the rebuilding of my 12B4A "free luch" amp (or is it a "monkey"?)
2: Built the new driver stages for my 6B4G SE amp
3: Finished my next project, an parafeed SE amp using AL1 direct-heated pentodes.
4: Cleaned my apartment...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.