• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A Triad xfmr for a voltage doubler PSU

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• Documento.doc
    19.5 KB · Views: 50
I would calculate the total power dissipation of your tubes plus margin for drivers, etc, and compare it to the dissipation rating of the transformer.

Tubes = 0.053A * 380V * 4 tubes = 80.56W.

Then figure 20% margin for additional driver tubes, etc. 80.56 * 1.2 = 96.67W

Transformer = 230 * 0.570 = 131W.

Dissipation factor is thus 96.67/131 = 73.79%.

Less than 75% should be good since you are using a doubler and may be pulling higher transient current compared to bridge rectification.

That's wonderful, but I think the voltage is going to be well above the required 380Vdc with doubler rectification.

To the OP; load a copy of Ben Duncan's PSUD2:

PSUD2

Then, build your power supply. Unless you know the DC resistance of the primary and secondary windings, pretty close, there will be some uncertainty, but it will get you in the 'hood.

Aloha,

Poinz

Poinz is right. A Grienacher doubler will yield approx. 600 VDC from that Triad trafo. If you take a Triad N-77U and boost it with something that produces 25 VAC or so, say a "Rat Shack" Catalog # 273-1512, you will be on target, via a Greinacher doubler. The 820 μF./250 WVDC 'lytics Jim McShane sells, along with a pair of UF5408 diodes will do the job quite nicely.

True, I didn't think about the initial voltage vs doubler and accepted his values. Bridge rectified he would get 325V, more likely he will get near 600V out of it. Add a 25.2 transformer and a bridge and stack them. That will put you at 360V. If that isn't enough go with a 48V transformer and you will get 392.

Hello Mosquito,
I am mostly with TheGimp in post number 2 but a touch more conservative.
Power transformers come with a VA rating. That is volts times amps. If the connected load is purely resistive the load can equal the VA rating. A amplifier power supply is pretty ugly, volts spike, current spikes, current and voltage are not in phase. All that ugly adds up to a lot of heat in the transformer that would not happen it the load was pretty in phase sine waves of volts and amps.
I would pick a power transformer with at least twice the VA of the connected load. I like to keep the temperature of the transformer cool enough to keep my hand on it for awhile, 135 degrees F or less with the IR thermometer.
BTW You can reduce the voltage of the doubler by adjusting down the capacitance of the first 2 capacitors in the doubler. Think CLC smoothing. If the power supply is choke input the voltage is half. If the power supply has large C’s at the input the voltage is twice the choke input power supply. If the capacitance is reduced to some intermediate value, the output voltage is reduced to somewhere between the choke input and the full size capacitor input. This voltage reduction does not come at the expense of added transformer heating. This beats burning excess voltage in a resistor and less transformer VA is required.
DT
All just for fun!

Wow!

Thanks for all these juicy answers!
I missed to mention (my bad) that each output stage is formed by a single glass bottle containing two triodes. The 53mA figure is then for each output stage, not each triode.
The math is 53mA X 2, plus safety margin.
I actually modelled the thing on PSudes, and think to drop to 380V via rc cells (like in the EICO)
A lossy cheap transformer will never be as the superb one in the EICO, with only 6 ohm RDC secondary winding. So I presume I'll need to drop much less.
I'm sorry but I don't catch how to boost or stack a transformer (how to actually connect the windings) Can someone post a graph?
At the moment I'm not at home, but later I'll post the PSUdes file I worked out, to be
corrected if anything's wrong.
Thanks everyone
J

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.