• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to get the best out of the 6C33C-B?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HTML:
Did anyone finish their 6C33 amp?

Yes, and the results are really excellent.
6S66S are really good tubes as long as you do not attempt to reach the last watt of anode power.
Always keep the tube under 75% of its maximal anode dissipation, and it will last for years.

SE: SE 6J9P,EL183, 6S33S, 6E3P
PP: Push-pull 6S33S, 6N23P, 6JH8, 6N1P-EV, IN13
I have not written the english version yet, but the schematics are not difficult to follow.

Thanks! For headphones, maybe - 16-32 ohhms, You can connect parallel big resistor about 10-12 ohms.

OK, but the normal on a Headphone is a range of 32-600 Ohm and I´m most interested on 250-600 Ohm Headphones. I think it doesn´t make sense build an amp very "excessive" only for 32 Ohm headphones.

What can I do on this case? Would I add an output trafo? impedance?

Cheers.

blackdod,
I know EDCOR produce output transformers for headphones, but what current range with, I don't know. Plate current in SE is less 300 ma. If You find
suitable transf., You can use it like alternative to normal transf. for 8 ohms by switching on or off.
Or make 6S33S ampl. in cathode follower mode....

This would be a great place to use a dn2540 or two, with 330v you can swing huge voltages at tiny amounts of distortion.

with 6e5p i found 180v/28ma/-3.5 =180v p-p @ 0.09% with just a single mosfet ccs.

lovely looking amp :) not feel sorry for the cd player though!

enzo

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I'm wondering how much drive voltage 6c33c needs..

Like any tube: depends how you connect it and how much the plate must swing.

To get a very rough idea, divide supply voltage by Mu. Mu of the big regulator tubes is often 2.7. Say 250V supply. 250V/2.7 is 92V. As plate-loaded your peak to peak grid swing has to be a little more. As cathode follower, add your output swing to the grid swing, so hundreds of Volts of grid drive.

Your 24Vpp is more suited for an EL84 at 200V.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> 6c33c plate voltage 220V

Plate-cathode or Plate-"ground"?

I plotted both. 220Vpk does not look good. 160Vpk (the rest in your CCS) does look fine, and needs 60V peak drive.

Your proposed driver will make this much output with about 5V peak input. Your proposed 0.84V peak input needs another gain of like 6.

Attachments

• 6c33c-600load.gif
    6c33c-600load.gif
    35.5 KB · Views: 569
Last edited:
Plate to ground. I see enough Vpp will be about 90V if plate voltage 220V. If I ad another same kind of stage for pre as driver I should be okay. With 0.6Vrms drive I get 264Vpp as calculated but if I drop drive to 0.2Vmrs then output will be about 90-100Vpp. But is about 8Vpp drive too much for 6N6P grid?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.