Need input on Buffer stage to use in Preamp.. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th July 2010, 09:45 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Adrculda Send a message via Yahoo to Adrculda
Default Need input on Buffer stage to use in Preamp..

Hey guys...
I'm well under way on a amp build im working on currently and would like to slowly start gathering parts for the matching preamp.
starting with the output, i would like to have a selectable output configuration and want to incorporate a tube buffer or preamp stage on one output and a HDAM preamp on the other.

Theres a lot of EBAY kits and im not to tube "savy" so i figgure before i start burning money is always worth asking which one is worth it and what to look for

The reason why i want to incorporate a tube section is because i had to replace a board and a few items on a friends Dynaco PAS2 and after had it for a "burn in" for 2 weeks it sounded amazing to me, hence why i want to add one to my build

ALSO, balanced signal handling would be a BONUS !!!

Input needed on this kit to start off with...
Old 19th July 2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

drek - short and simple

if you need tube buffer - SLCF , Allen Wright , google

edit : for 143$ ........ better use much smaller money , and buy tube preamp cookbook and supercable cookbook from mentioned tube wakoo ...... that way you'll learn something ..... and never ever think again about buying audiophool fog on ebay

Last edited by Zen Mod; 19th July 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 20th July 2010, 01:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I must expose my ignorance. What is an HDAM? A full fledged tube line amp is so simple I often wonder why a buffer on something else has so much appeal.
Old 20th July 2010, 06:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

HDAM Module is basicly a high end audio opamp built from scratch with audiophile components.

HDAM Module Review by HeadFi.org

URL at the end of the Review was supposed to Point HERE

Last edited by Adrculda; 20th July 2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 20th July 2010, 07:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashaffer View Post
I must expose my ignorance. What is an HDAM? A full fledged tube line amp is so simple I often wonder why a buffer on something else has so much appeal.
It is from another reality, where conductivity is measured in RaMaOhms between Chakras.
Old 20th July 2010, 08:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavebourn View Post
It is from another reality, where conductivity is measured in RaMaOhms between Chakras.

Oddly I had to look up Chakra too.
Old 1st August 2010, 07:59 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

hmmm...

i know its ebay again...
Jadis JP-200 JP200 Tube Pre Amplifier
but like i said earlier, i just want a PCB to make my life easy !!!

Given if i buy 2 boards can i use them to "buffer" balanced signals ??

And what benefits would a tube regulated supply give ???
Old 1st August 2010, 10:33 PM   #8
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Well, you could ... I just wonder why you'd need this horribly inefficient use of ECC83s doing double duty WITH 2000+x GAIN functioning as a buffer. Do you plan to put an attenuator somewhere that will quiet this thing down two thousand plus times ?

Oh and ECC83 doesn't make the best cathode follower out there, no matter what the schematic in your link says.
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 1st August 2010, 11:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Basicly what I'm doing is building a Pre-amp to my own needs and wants....

Will include basic functions as Volume and Source Select - 4 XLR pairs, 2 TRS Pairs and 5 RCA Pairs with a "Monitor" Function. This will allow the use of a external processor or DSP and will have 1 pair of XLR's and TRS's . All unbalanced signals will be up-converted to Balanced Signal and handled internally in the balanced form. Output will be Balanced ( XLR and TRS ) and will also include a summing amp to have a pair of RCA's.

The Output Section will be selectable as either tube to HDAM modules with JFET's
Still debating if i want to incorporate a DSP board for time correction with a Graphic or Parametric EQ, but will have a Bypass for "source direct" mode.

For the Tube Section I'm looking to find a PCB that i can populate on my own and dont have to go through the trouble of trying to do a complete layout.

The whole idea of this preamp is to have a clean, accurate and detailed sound with best of both "worlds" tube and analog.
Maybe eventually will add a digital output section as well... maybe...

Last edited by Adrculda; 1st August 2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 1st August 2010, 11:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here's a small list of all the tube boards DIY Audio Kit offers...

Marantz 7C 7-C Tube Pre Amp

Tube Pre amplifer PCB, Based on McIntosh C-22

Matisse Fantasy Pre-Amp

6SN7 SRPP Tube Pre Amplifier PCB

6N3 (5670) Tube Buffer

Another vendor - 8 Audio has a few too...

Upgraded design for Mcintosh C22

Upgraded Design from Marantz 7

Upgraded design for ARC SP10

Upgrade design for C.J. PV-12

Upgraded design for Cary SLP90

Upgraded design for Jadis JP200

Input please !!

Last edited by Adrculda; 1st August 2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Added a few more to the list of options...

Hide this!Advertise here!