• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Push-Pull vs Push-Pull-Parallel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Load impedance will be the same (it depends on what is connected to the secondary), but load of tubes decreases (resistance that an anode sees will increase twice), so distortions will go down significantly. My first Pyramid was built such a way:

amp_concert.gif

You may mean optimum load impedance i.e. the best load impedance to use, the one which best balances output and distortion. This halves when you put two valves in parallel.

The actual load impedance is set by the output load and the transformer turns ratio, so stays the same until you change the transformer.

So it all depends on what you mean by load impedance. I assume you meant the first one above.

Load impedance will be the same (it depends on what is connected to the secondary), but load of tubes decreases (resistance that an anode sees will increase twice), so distortions will go down significantly. My first Pyramid was built such a way:

Seems to me a tube has a sweet spot for lowest distortion. If the output transformer reflected impedance takes the tube load out of this sweet spot (halving the impedance) the distortion can go up.

As an example the 6v6 likes to see about 6000 ohms. drop the load (increase the impedance to the tube by 2X) and the distortion almost doubles.

See last page.
http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/link.php?target=0125C507

Seems to me a tube has a sweet spot for lowest distortion.

It seems to me a sweet spot in terms of load impedance is the optimal ratio between distortions and electrical efficiency. I agree, I paid for increased sound quality by decreased efficiency. More parts, more heat. So what?

After that I've found better tubes to go with than ancient 6L6, and now I use only a pair of GU-50 for the same sweet pristine clean sound at twice higher output power.

By the way, the current development, Pyramid-9 monoblock, uses 4 of GU-50, but for a different reason: twice higher power (160W compressor limited), while 6L6 were paralleled for 4 times lower distortions on 40W only output power. Also, screen grids in all cases are powered from significantly lower voltage regulated sources than anodes.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.