• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DC Filament supply boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It acts as a load on the DC bus, and therefore indirectly on the filament transformer serving the PCB. Depending on the regulation of the transformer, you can adjust R4 to pull more/less power. This will have small effects on the average DC bus, and will also increase ripple a bit.
Other than those small effects and the ability to discharge the bus when powered off, R4 isn't all that critical to the operation of the circuit.

Can somebody please explain to me which benefits R4 adds to the DC supply? On Pete's website he only talks about increasing the value of R4 when using higher voltages, but nothing about why this current drawing resistor benefits the supply.

The schematics can be found here: Regulated DC filament supply

R4 is a "bleeder" resister. Its just is to discharge the capacitors when the power is turned off. It is mainly there for safety so that the high voltage goes away when you turn the unit off.

Imagine how dangerous it would be if there was a lethal voltage present even when the unit was unplugged from the AC mains outlet. We ALWAYS install this resister and choose a resistance that is a compromise to drain the caps in a reasonable time but not to waste so much power in operation

When I am building an amplifier I plut in a low value "bleeder" resister. usually a big ceramic power resistor in parallel to the normal small bleeder so the volts go to zero nearly instanly. This makes working on the amp safer. Then after the amp works, I remove the low value paralleled resister.

CHose the value of R4 so at your voltage only about 0.1 watts is used. (remember Ohm's law and I squared R)

Right, so I installed a 750R resistor instead of the suggested 121R resistor. This would use a little bit more then 0.1 Watts.

Another question. The amplifier uses cathode bias, so there is already a high quality 100uF capacitor (C6) there. Should I omit C7 and C2 from the supply?

Attachments

• little Ceasar mk4 versterkerschema.jpg
    little Ceasar mk4 versterkerschema.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 225
  • 300B_Voeding.png
    300B_Voeding.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 236
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.