• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Power transformer for tube amp requirements

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I posted a similar post on the Power Supplies forum, however I may get more information here.
I got a quotation for 2 power transformers of 420VA fore tube amps from a manufacturer in India. Their quotation is way cheaper from all others I received, including shipping cost. However, I don't know what specifications to ask the manufacturer, other than voltages and currents. Are there any specifications I should mention? How about the finish?

You didn't mention the name of the maker. Are the transformers made to acceptable standards, (insulation between windings and isolation for your safety sake). Anything to hide ? A reputable company should provide primary details.
The reason why I ask is once I encounted a tube amp for repair and found the electrostatic screen was a dummy.-the primary and secondaries were wound bifiliar a dangerous practise !! A damaged primary won't protect the user. Don't always go for the cheapest.

richy

The manufacturer is Elent from India: Elent : CVT, Online UPS, Offline UPS, UPS Systems, Servo Controlled Voltage Stabilizers (SCVS), Indian UPS Manufacturers, UPS Exporter Electronic Enterprises, India . I know nothing about the manufacturer. His quotation was $70 per 420VA power transformer (before shipping) or $ 223.75 for 2 transformers including shipping. Other quotations were way higher, 1 was $1,347.00 for 2 transformers including shipping and the other was $1,450 for 2 transformers including shipping.
The other option I have is to order from China R-core custom transformers which will cost me $550 for 2 transformers before shipping.

Being on a very tight budget, I tend to order the transformers from Elent India.
I believe the transformers will be in accord with the specifications I'll give them, I only want to make sure to mention all the relevant specifications.
Right now, as far as I know, the specifications are: primary voltage and power rating, secondary windings voltages and current ratings and voltage insulation between the various windings.

Is there anything more I should specify, or ask for?

I think Elent transformers should be good. They have been around a while and would have been dead locally (by now) if they were not good. There is tremendous competition within the country !
Remember that in India all laminations and winding wires are all imported ! Most companies have VERY smart machine operators . So as long as they are given correct instructions they wouldn't make any mistakes. That turning point occured sometime in the 80's I think !

They also work with very low margins compared to the West. And companies wouldn't dare export unless they are good enough. They fully understand the consequences! Just make doubly sure they understand exactly what you want ( voltage rating at what current and what regulation etc.) .

I think Elent transformers should be good. They have been around a while and would have been dead locally (by now) if they were not good. There is tremendous competition within the country !
Remember that in India all laminations and winding wires are all imported ! Most companies have VERY smart machine operators . So as long as they are given correct instructions they wouldn't make any mistakes. That turning point occured sometime in the 80's I think !

They also work with very low margins compared to the West. And companies wouldn't dare export unless they are good enough. They fully understand the consequences! Just make doubly sure they understand exactly what you want ( voltage rating at what current and what regulation etc.) .

Thanks.
This is also my impression. I'm well aware of differences in labor cost and margin between India and the West.

Actually, my heart is with India, but that's a different story.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.