• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Scott 222B output transformer : Compatibility and specs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My otherwise near mint Scott 222B has been diagnosed with a bad OPT, a TRA 8-4-1. I have not been able to find a replacement, but do have access to a pair of Scott TRA 8-5-1s.

1) Are these OPTs compatible; that is will the TRA 8-5-1 function successfully in the 222B as a replacement for the TRA 8-4-1?
2) Can anyone provide specifications of the TRA 8-4-1 in case I need to have a new one manufactured?

Thanks for your time,

ARS

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Whatever you get, you want to get a pair...PP OPTs for EL84/6BQ5, somewhere 7-10k plate-to-plate.

The Scott OPTs are outstanding (we have 2 sets of these, 1 set in a functioning Class A triode build (a stunning amp), and 1 being rebuilt (power trafo failure)) so for same quality they are unlikely to be inexpensive.

dave

Planet 10,

Thanks.

The Scott 8-5-1s I have a line on are used in the Scott 222 C&D models which use 7189 output tubes. My failed Scott TRA 8-4-1 OPT on the 222B drives less powerful 6BQ5 output tubes. Do you have an opinion as to the suitability of using the 8-5-1 in place of the 8-4-1?

As an aside, perhaps, I have another 222B with significantly smaller 7-1 OPTs (~2/3 the size of the TRA 8-4-1 OPT). The smaller 7-1 opt unit has a earlier serial # then the unit with the larger 8-4-1 OPTs. Comments?

ARS

Eli

Thanks- it as is I have understood: the 8-5-1 is OK electrically; the physical dimensions will be the determining factor. If I have to have the 8-4-1 rewound, I've been told the Essex TRA 8-4-1 winding is the same (or essentially so). Whatever, I'll get the 222B up and running. I appreciate everyones comments.

ARS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.