• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

C3G/C3M Prices

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
just my .02c on the C3m -

I built a triode linestage around the C3m and it was one of the most microphonic tubes I have ever used. Almost up there with ancient 71A globe tubes! For example the bounce of my stepped Goldpoint volume control could be heard quite well through the speakers. There wasn't much difference between different brands of tubes - Telenfunken, Phillips, Valvo, Siemens, etc - though one suspects they were actually all made at the same plant.

Issue number two - the filaments are fragile when hot. I had two C3ms go bad on me from hotswitching or turning over the chassis after power down. Let the tubes cool before removing the tube or moving the unit.

The sound - with a 7119 White Cathode Follower - was very good though.

just my .02c on the C3m -

I built a triode linestage around the C3m and it was one of the most microphonic tubes I have ever used. Almost up there with ancient 71A globe tubes! For example the bounce of my stepped Goldpoint volume control could be heard quite well through the speakers. There wasn't much difference between different brands of tubes - Telenfunken, Phillips, Valvo, Siemens, etc - though one suspects they were actually all made at the same plant.

Issue number two - the filaments are fragile when hot. I had two C3ms go bad on me from hotswitching or turning over the chassis after power down. Let the tubes cool before removing the tube or moving the unit.

The sound - with a 7119 White Cathode Follower - was very good though.

As seen here in the Ayon linestage, physical decoupling is mandatory when working with this tube.
(The "Stagger" linestage also has the tubes outside the chassis as far as I can remember.)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.