1.2W guitar amp useing:6N2P and 6N1P russian tubes. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th July 2010, 11:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AnalogSound Send a message via Yahoo to AnalogSound
Exclamation 1.2W guitar amp useing:6N2P and 6N1P russian tubes.

A little concept of mine, in case that anyone is interested. This preamp use 2 double triodes (i have used 6n16b for this but any double triode will work: 12ax7, ecc83, ecc82, 6n2p, 6n1p (i even recomand to try and listen Ecc85 (it's a hell of a tube)).
The design is a classic one: the first triode amplify the guitar signal (input impedance set at approx. 1M). In the second stage C8 take off that high-end of the sound. I used 1M gain pot but a 500k will do just fine. WARNING!: The gain pot is very important for 2nd triode polarisation so the 3rd lug must be set to ground potential.
We have a voltage divider formed by 2 x 470 kohm resistors so the 3rd triode is not too hard over-driven.
The 3rd triode is set in a very common configuration for high-gain pre-amps (just adds a little grit to the final tone).
A tone stack formed only with bass and treble controls. And a cathode follower for the output stage so we can use this preamp with mixers/sound-cards etc. without the fear that the signal will be overloaded.

PS: This preamp could be used also as a starting point for a self split mini tube amp with 6n16b as output tube and a 8k:8ohm output transformer (this is a very good tube bc. it has a very small internal resistance : max. is 14k @1mA and i used it @7mA so the internal resistance is about 4.7k according to D.S.)
So any tranny with a primary of 8k to 10k and a secondary of 4 to 8 ohm will do the trick.

[IMG]http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr153/gtudoran/KrugerPreamp.jpg[/I
MG]

The power amp section for this mini amp (approx 1w). I took as a template the output section from the D.H. - Firefly and i modified it to fit my needs and tubes (6N1P).
Cathode resistor modified to 5600ohm(in the first place i had 460ohm witch give me about 10mA trough the tube but i would like to preserve the life of the tube and run it at 7mA any value witch will keep the current at 5 to 8mA will be ok), that would give me about 7mA tube current @ 221v anode voltage.
Coupling cap. modified to 0.01uF.
To compensate a little I've decoupled the cathode resistor with 22u pol. cap (22u/50v should be more then enough).

Click the image to open in full size.

Any comments are apprecieted.

Best regards,
Gabriel Tudoran
Analog Sound

PS: A little sample: Clip 1

Clip 2
Old 21st May 2013, 01:39 AM   #2
maton00 is offline maton00  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to maton00
that 22uF cap would make that the second triode would´t "switch"
a good and a more simetrical drive of the OPT would be withrout that cap
Old 21st May 2013, 05:50 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, it is now single end amplifier. Lower triode do not have ANY signal voltage, just quiescent current.

Hide this!Advertise here!