• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

first tube amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I bought my components from parts-express.com, also a bit from Partsconnexion.
I used ruby gold capacitors for the power supply and 1N4007 diodes. From a local hardware store I got two cheap battery chargers rated at 2,4 amp 240v for the power supply, the first makes 13v for filament heating, the second is reversed and brings voltage back up to 230 or so. Since I am in a 240V county I didn´t have to build the voltage doubler Nachbaur specifies, but in stead had to bring down the B+ voltage (for the plates), by tweaking the Capacitor, Resistor Capacitor (pi) filter. For understanding power supplies, I really recommend Duncan amps PSU DesignerII Its free and really cool software.

I went for a dual mono design, figuring it was best to follow the plans precisely. That was before PSU Designer. (PSU=Power Supply Unit) Today I would rather build it with a common power supply to reduce parts count. The PSU was soldered on stripboard, experimenters printed circuit board (PCB).

The rest of the amp, was built by point to point wiring around the sockets. Which are octal by the way, I dont think Nachbaur mentions this.

I have a habit of raiding the local electronics shops dumpster and pulling out amplifiers and TVs. I used a couple of components from them as well as wiring from them. Mostly 18gauge 900v rated wire. A bit thicker for the filament. Remember to twist the filament wires tightly and keep them away from other the components. I kept the filament wires in the corners of the amp, and crossed other wires as close to 90 degress as possible to reduce hum, this is good practice. Another important thing is to orient your output transformers at 90 degrees. (Hammond 125CSE) Collect all the ground points at one spot for a star ground. This keeps ground potential even.
For input signal I used Solen SM series foil caps and a logarithmic Alps potensiometer, and then more Solen caps for the coupling capacitors.

I guess i could go on talking about the details of amp building, Morgan Jones also makes a good book on this theme, and have a look at the newbie page on this forum.

I´ll see if I can post a internal pic. of my amp tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.