• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Mesh Plate

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Why Mesh plates? When a tube is given mesh plates, something magic happens to the sound! We believe this is caused by the better damping properties of the mesh material. When using mesh tubes, you will experience a more transparent sound stage, meaning a more realistic stereo reproduction of the original sound recording. With mesh tubes you will enjoy the very best of what small triodes have to offer. Note: mesh means woven metal wire. The Chinese make a tube with punched plates, and for marketing call this "mesh". A punched plate will not have the superior resonance damping properties a wire mesh tube has."
(c) Emission Labs.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've heard some very good sounding mesh plate dht power triodes and 27 idhts, however I can also state that I have heard equally good sounding non mesh plates in the same types. (45, 300B, 27 idht) If there is a difference it might have more to do with the amount of care used in the assembly of a specific tube or lot of tubes.

Honestly I can't think of any good reason why a mesh plate would be superior, and in one area it is definitely inferior and that is in plate dissipation per unit of surface area.

I would take the comments about mesh plates with the same grain of salt you would with any audio fad. Some are good, some are not, and in general they aren't any better or any worse than comparable vintage non mesh production IMLE..

I have heard rare NOS arcturus blue meshplate globe 27 types complete with the top nipple that sounded terrible despite satisfying at least 5 of the current audiophile dogma surrounding vintage triodes.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
PP or SE ? - it makes a difference.
I had built two identical SE amps, one with RCA 2A3 the other EML 2A3 mesh plates.
The mesh plates sound much better IMO.
In PP there was no difference IMO.
Frank

They are good sounding tubes, another I have found that sounds considerably better IMHO than an RCA 2A3 (bi plates) is the Kenrad box plate version of the 2A3.. (1940s bi plate as well, & not mesh)

Honestly I can't think of any good reason why a mesh plate would be superior, and in one area it is definitely inferior and that is in plate dissipation per unit of surface area.

But this is not a negative characteristic, the lower the plate dissipation per surface area at same dissipation rating of the tube in question (tubes of same type generally have same anode dissipation rating), the larger the surface must be and the larger the surface, the better the ability to radiate heat away from the anode.

As for the mumbo jumbo cited in the first post of this thread ... :rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.