newbie everything... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2003, 12:30 PM   #1
nenoshi is offline nenoshi  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default newbie everything...

hi guys. i'm very interested in a tube amp diy project (though i will be getting a lot of help in the actual building/assembly/testing as i am a certified dimwit when it comes to electronic stuff).

i was hoping someone would be kind enough to refer or share a schematic for an entry-level integrated amp (i'm partial to this for budget and space considerations). however due to the high cost and availability of tubes here in my country, i was hoping to look for a project which uses the following tubes as these are the only ones readily available and won't cost too much;

- Philips ECG 6922 JAN
- Philips ECG 5814A JAN (12AU7)
- Sovtek EL84
- Sovtek 5U4G
- Electro Harmonix EL34 EH
- Svetlana EL34

with regards to the music i prefer, i listen mostly to jazz, light classical pieces, vocals, accoustic stuff. i know that this type of music would be ideal for a set amp. however, my speakers are of low sensitivity (wharfedale bookshelfs at 86db sensitivity) which i guess automatically qualifies me to go for a push-pull type (am i correct in this assumption?)

anyway, i would it appreciate it if you could also include the parts list and other pertinent data for the integrated amp.

thank you very much for taking time out to read and share your experiences and sagely advice. best regards.
Old 26th June 2003, 09:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi nenoshi,

What transformers, specifically output transformer can you get. And what is your budget for transformers/chokes.

Total budget?

Cheers,
Bas
Old 27th June 2003, 10:32 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

hi bas! tough question .there are a lot of locally-wound transformers available here. can't give you the exact specifications though. sorry i couldn't be more detailed. i was hoping that a budget of 5000 to 7000 pesos would suffice (that's roughly $350.00) for the whole project. or is it way too low?

thanks for taking time out. best regards.
Old 27th June 2003, 07:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
$350 is plenty. There's plenty of people here who'll agree but will try talking you into 10 times more anyway, go figure.
First thing, iron is expensive, but you can't do without it. You need a power and an output transformer (two for stereo). Hammond makes a wide range of both types, cheap to expensive.

For the amp, I'd recommend 5814 or 6922 (hi-quality 6DJ8) for preamp and driver. Something small and simple, an EL84 in SE would be good for a first project.
For the rectifier, a 5Y3, 6X4 or 6X5, or silicon diodes will suffice. A 5U4 is too powerful.

Have fun!

Tim
Old 27th June 2003, 09:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi nenoshi,

I would indeed suggest a single ended EL84/EL34. Use one power transformer / 1 rectifier tube for both channels. So here in the Netherlands getting a 290v/250mA powertransformer with 5v/2a and 6,3 5A WOULD set you back 45 euro's thats $50 these days. A pair of output transformers for EL84 around $90 for a pair.
2 chokes...around $ 50. An EL34 SE should not be that much more expensive. And can put out around 8Watt in SE ..plenty for your speakers I think.

So I would suggest look for a good SE EL84 project that appeals to you. So you'd have to do some homework. I like simple simple simple and no feedback type of amps. So maybe a ZEN clone..2 watts per channel played loud enough to bother my neighbours on my 90db efficient Mission 761's. PushPull might be just the ticket for your less efficient speakers.

Cheers,
Bas
Old 27th June 2003, 10:08 PM   #6
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default Amp

Hello ,
Manila , is that in the Philipines ? If so a fairly 'local' source of Hammond iron would be www.diyparadise.com (Malaysia , tell Yeo that Nic sent you!) . $350 will be cutting it fine , suggest a gradual buildup of parts rather than a single purchase . I can strongly suggest the book 'Valve Amplifiers' by Morgan Jones as an excellent springboard into valves , this is available via amazon.com . This covers basic theory and has a project called the 'Bevois valley' which uses a single ECC88/6922 driving a pair of EL84 in push pull , good for about 10watts per channel . I built an EL84 triode strapped version of this about six years ago and learned a lot from this . A simplistic , easy to build amplifier that sounds good . Good luck with your project !

316a
Old 28th June 2003, 03:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

thank you all for your favorable responses. 316a, is this an integrated or power amp? if this is a power amp, would i be needing a pre-amp to pair it with?

i hope i'm not asking too much but would it be possible to borrow the "bevois valley" schematic and parts list? and if so, would you be so kind as to send it to this address...nenoshi@yahoo.com

thank you very much and hoping for your kind consideration. best regards.
Old 28th June 2003, 04:27 PM   #8
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default Hello

Buy the book , I would not want to infringe copyright ! You'll learn at the same time , it is a reference I still use myself . The amp may require a pre-amp , I did not bother with a preamp and just used a volume pot on the input using a CD player as source .

316a
Old 28th June 2003, 08:51 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The Jones book is an excellent resource -- i understand a new rev is close to completion.

I have a Telefunken EL84 PP amp downstairs i was going to update using Morgan's circuit.

dave
Old 29th June 2003, 01:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

unfortunately, the book is unavailable here. i'll just have to look around some more. thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!