cathode follower tube buffer using 6n6p - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th June 2010, 02:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default cathode follower tube buffer using 6n6p

I have little experience with tube amps (built 1 spud) and have 8 Russian 6n6p tubes. Im building a preamp and would like to use the tubes as a buffer for the output to lower the impedance after the pot.

Is there a simple schematic someone has for this using a cathode buffer with 1 tube? Im in the USA so I was thinking of just getting 2 6.3vac transformers and running 1 to the wall to step down to 6.3, then connect the other one to step it back to 120vac and use a full bridge rec to convert to 170vdc.

Can i just copy Lamps version that he uses for his dac's?
Old 24th June 2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Read: The Valve Wizard -Cathode Follower

And yes, your transformer arrangement is sound.
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 25th June 2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
Is there a simple schematic someone has for this using a cathode buffer with 1 tube?
Consider the DC coupled follower designed and documented by forum member SY. It's called Heretic: A Heretical Unity gain line stage

Quote:
Can i just copy Lamps version that he uses for his dac's?
You mean this? Preamplifier_with_HEAD

You can adapt it, but the performance may be mediocre.
Old 25th June 2010, 02:13 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

While undoubtedly sound, SY's design is anything but simple and could be a trap for a builder with little experience.

FWIW, I suggest 10M45S constant current sink loaded cathode followers and a bipolar PSU. That sort of arrangement places only 1 cap., at the unit's O/P, in the signal path. A 4.7 μF metalized polypropylene part bypassed by a 470 nF. 716P series Orange Drop does that job well, without spending a lot.

A $25 AnTek model AN-05T160 power trafo looks like a reasonable fit for the job. To get a bipolar supply, each rail would be 1/2 wave rectified, but making the 1st filter caps. big deals with that matter. A single filter choke can be shared between the 2 rails, in the grounded leg. A pair of 600 PIV Schottky diodes for rectification are inexpensive enough and yield "noiseless" operation.
Old 25th June 2010, 03:12 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Oh man Eli is following me again. Um with a BP supply i halve my voltage so supply caps would be alot cheaper. Any schematics or something to go on? Since im a beginer i cant make anything from scratch. I just wanted to get some tube sound to my Tamp and 3886 amp i built up.

Heres what i was going to adapt.

http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/...X/IMG_5144.jpg

its got 2 caps in the audio path, but the first can be small so i can get something nice. The output cap might set me back alittle if i go full metal film.
Old 25th June 2010, 09:40 PM   #6
smbrown is offline smbrown  United States
diyAudio Member

Nightanole, But that's not a cathode follower, it's an anode follower. However, with the lowish plate impedance of the 6n6, you may not need a cathode follower. I use a 6n6 preamp and take the output from the plate, no problem.
Old 25th June 2010, 09:43 PM   #7
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It's not even an anode follower, it's a common cathode amplifier. The design is... questionable.
Old 25th June 2010, 10:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

see this, but it has to change for 6n6p, that and a very good blog 10000 circuits...

http://circuitoseletronics.blogspot....-follower.html

Moderator Warning Note: the link does take you to a cathode follower, but also opens new windows for at string of advertisements
Old 26th June 2010, 01:50 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Sorry wrong lamp

http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/...X/IMG_5143.jpg

heres the cathode version
Old 26th June 2010, 02:01 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Sorry wrong lamp

http://www.lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/...X/IMG_5143.jpg

heres the cathode version
Nope. It's still a common cathode inverting amp.

Try again!

Hide this!Advertise here!