• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

preamplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm with Gordy on this.

Me too.. Early on I designed a generally similar circuit and found it sonically inferior to just about anything you could imagine.. :D

Still other options to those listed above could include a simple amplifier stage using half of an ECC99 or 5687 per channel for a gain of around 22dB or so and fairly low source impedance with no fdbk.

Last edited:
Me too.. Early on I designed a generally similar circuit and found it sonically inferior to just about anything you could imagine.. :D

Still other options to those listed above could include a simple amplifier stage using half of an ECC99 or 5687 per channel for a gain of around 22dB or so and fairly low source impedance with no fdbk.

That means, the Devil is in details, and the same cat may be skinned by multiple ways.

Generally similar circuit (2 stage amp with serial feedback by voltage) was used in one of my first hybrid amps. The sound was unbelievable real.

Here is the driver schematic (I found it in my very old papers) attached.

Attachments

• Tower-I.jpg
    Tower-I.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 286
here's the issue though guys - we are looking for a pre- for a very specific application. It would appear that it actually doesn't need gain since it has line level input, but has to drve and unknown load.

Kinda makes amplifying stages a non-issue surely. If ever there was a case for a passive pre or perhaps a CF buffer set-up this would be it...

here's the issue though guys - we are looking for a pre- for a very specific application. It would appear that it actually doesn't need gain since it has line level input, but has to drve and unknown load.

Kinda makes amplifying stages a non-issue surely. If ever there was a case for a passive pre or perhaps a CF buffer set-up this would be it...

In such case may I recommend similar stages? I used my SS-only version in my Tower-II amps (now in Tower-V) to drive heavy to drive 100W speakers, it sounds gorgeous!

176843d1276931155-sy-pete-millett-crossover-afbb.png

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.