• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

7236 vs 6AS7 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Oh, well, it is a relatively inexpensive experiment ($100, all in), I will try and report back.
I am surprised though that a tube (outside of reliability, arcing, etc., concerns) can make such a difference in sound: amps are driven more by their feedback circuits than the traits of the components, ate they not?

Oh, well, it is a relatively inexpensive experiment ($100, all in), I will try and report back.
I am surprised though that a tube (outside of reliability, arcing, etc., concerns) can make such a difference in sound: amps are driven more by their feedback circuits than the traits of the components, ate they not?

Mine has local feedback around the output triode. Other than that it has no feedback. Its a very simple directly coupled circuit which means that each components sound comes through.
I am certain that an amp with more Global feedback would be relatively immune to output tube selection.

Shoog

Well, the 6080s in the Atma-sphere S30 MkIII was a failure and, perhaps, a near disaster -- even after a few days of keeping the filaments warm, two of the tubes arced almost immediately with the volume turned up a bit. The fuse blew even as I attempted to turn the power off. Luckily no speaker damage. Back to the Coke bottles... May be some day there will be a slim tube that works in this amp!

Well, the 6080s in the Atma-sphere S30 MkIII was a failure and, perhaps, a near disaster -- even after a few days of keeping the filaments warm, two of the tubes arced almost immediately with the volume turned up a bit. The fuse blew even as I attempted to turn the power off. Luckily no speaker damage. Back to the Coke bottles... May be some day there will be a slim tube that works in this amp!
6080s are dicey. Some have very small grid heatisinks, like the 6AS7A. That type should be avoided. The kind with the larger grid heatsinks like the 6AS7G seem to work better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.