small and cheap OTL schematic needed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2010, 12:34 PM   #1
neazoi is offline neazoi  Greece
diyAudio Member

Default small and cheap OTL schematic needed

hello,
I was wondering if there are any OTL amplifiers using small tubes. I have found one which I attatch but I wonder if there are any other out there.
thanks
Attached Images
File Type: gif se_otl.gif (25.2 KB, 837 views)
Old 16th June 2010, 01:03 PM   #2
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Grid and plate are swapped in the output of that schematic.

You also have a strong possibility of dc bias thorugh the speaker.

The only other OTL i've seen discussed lately was based on 6AS7, which while a dual triode does not qualify as a small tube.

Actually, there are several errors in the schematic. bias reisstors for one tube not ten in the output stage. 700V supply for triodes designed for 250V max, -213 V on the grid (currently shown as plate) of output with -13 on the cathode ....

Hopefully someone else can point you to a schematic of an amp that meets your requirements, and works.

Last edited by TheGimp; 16th June 2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 16th June 2010, 01:39 PM   #3
cnpope is offline cnpope  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Looks bizarre, but it's right...

The circuit looks quite strange, but actually it is what is intended. The design, by Steve Bench, runs the output tubes in "inverted triode" mode. More details can be found at Inverted Tube Operation, and other articles by Steve Bench at Steve's Tube Pages. I think this is a mirror of his original, now defunct, website. He seems to like exploring slightly unusual circuit designs!

Chris
Old 16th June 2010, 01:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

12B4 Amps12B4 Amps
Old 16th June 2010, 01:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Simple answer: either use a metric sh**load of tubes in parallel, or forget it. OTL is a fundamentally flawed concept around vacuum tubes. The impedances just aren't right.

If you insist, I recall there are some Russian types with very low plate resistance, analogous to 1/2 6AS7 in a 9-pin bottle. I don't remember the number.

Tim
Old 16th June 2010, 01:56 PM   #6
danzup is offline danzup  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sch3mat1c View Post
Simple answer: either use a metric sh**load of tubes in parallel, or forget it. OTL is a fundamentally flawed concept around vacuum tubes. The impedances just aren't right.

If you insist, I recall there are some Russian types with very low plate resistance, analogous to 1/2 6AS7 in a 9-pin bottle. I don't remember the number.

Tim
6H13C ( with europeen letter is 6N13S ) but this is in 8 pins socket
direct equivalent of 6AS7G
of course , but you need a power plant to lite up 10 pieces of that tube for a decent low output impedance !

Last edited by danzup; 16th June 2010 at 02:11 PM.
Old 16th June 2010, 02:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGimp View Post
Grid and plate are swapped in the output of that schematic.

You also have a strong possibility of dc bias thorugh the speaker.

The only other OTL i've seen discussed lately was based on 6AS7, which while a dual triode does not qualify as a small tube.

Actually, there are several errors in the schematic. bias reisstors for one tube not ten in the output stage. 700V supply for triodes designed for 250V max, -213 V on the grid (currently shown as plate) of output with -13 on the cathode ....

Hopefully someone else can point you to a schematic of an amp that meets your requirements, and works.
As posted by fellow user that schematics really work !
But no need to say that are lot of other OTL schematics better that that :
- circlotron OTL
- futterman OTL
- technics OTL variant of futterman
- ciufolli OTL variant with 6C33C
- atmasphere variant (Nice AT M60 schematics will you find on this forum !) with 6H13C
- and of course old Philips OTL with capacitor on output (like an SRPP but with pentode )

Last edited by danzup; 16th June 2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 16th June 2010, 02:05 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
if you insist, i recall there are some russian types with very low plate resistance, analogous to 1/2 6as7 in a 9-pin bottle. I don't remember the number.

6c19
Old 16th June 2010, 02:10 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewbee View Post
6c19
Yes that is in 9pin glass bottle .
Old 16th June 2010, 02:22 PM   #10
cnpope is offline cnpope  United States
diyAudio Member

An example of a more conventional simple OTL is the design by Tim Mellow, which appeared in the February issue of Audio Express. It's 25W per channel. Admittedly the output tubes (a pair of 6C33C's per channel) could hardly be called "small" (unless you compare them to transmitting tubes or something like that!), but the design is about as simple as they get. I have built one, and it sounds great. Another nice design, which I've also built, is the one by Hans Beijner, again using 6C33C's. Both of these are essentially modified Futterman designs. I've built a circlotron too, using a design by Alan Kimmel, using EL509S tubes in the output. This one is a bit more complicated, because of the need for two separate floating output power supplies per channel.

Interestingly enough, it is really rather easy to get a low output impedance with an OTL, particularly with the use of negative feedback. A fraction of an ohm output impedance is quite routine for such amps.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!