ming da tube amp smell - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th June 2010, 11:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default ming da tube amp smell

just received my ming da 34ab today and can't help notice the smell coming off of the power supply. it's thick odor is reminiscent of drying paint and is present even with the amp turned off and cooled down for a while. im reading on a website that its a transformer glue smell. what chemical is it exactly? how hazardous is this odor to my health? and when can i expect it to go away completely?
Old 14th June 2010, 04:51 PM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSapian View Post
just received my ming da 34ab today and can't help notice the smell coming off of the power supply. it's thick odor is reminiscent of drying paint and is present even with the amp turned off and cooled down for a while. im reading on a website that its a transformer glue smell. what chemical is it exactly? how hazardous is this odor to my health? and when can i expect it to go away completely?
Most likely transformer varnish, it will bake out over time.. If it bothers you you should probably open a window or two if possible whilst the amplifier is in operation. I don't much care for the smell myself and if you are asthmatic you definitely will want to limit your exposure as it is a minor respiratory irritant. I don't think limited exposure is a particular health risk, but I honestly don't know that this is/isn't the case. Ventilation I would say...

I buy Chinese made power transformers regularly and they are generally quite aromatic when new. The custom ones I used to get made here were pretty stinky as well if memory serves.
Old 15th June 2010, 02:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

thank you. i want to believe that's the case also. and if so, please tell me how long did you notice it for your transformers to finally be free of the smell? what steps can i take to bake it out faster? i've already planned to put the amp in a separate room but also thinking of taking off the humphy cover if aeration helps.
Old 16th June 2010, 12:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

ttt i would very much appreciate further info since i'm having no luck with googling on my own. thanks :P
Old 16th June 2010, 08:44 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreSapian View Post
ttt i would very much appreciate further info since i'm having no luck with googling on my own. thanks :P
On my st-70 the transformer outgassed a lot for about 50 hours and then gradually started emitting less and less of the smell. Now about 300 hours later it's hardly noticeable.

Basically just put the amp in another room or open the windows and let it run for a few hundred hours. It's good to break in the tubes and caps too.
Old 17th June 2010, 01:00 AM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coherent View Post
On my st-70 the transformer outgassed a lot for about 50 hours and then gradually started emitting less and less of the smell. Now about 300 hours later it's hardly noticeable.

Basically just put the amp in another room or open the windows and let it run for a few hundred hours. It's good to break in the tubes and caps too.
Sorry to contradict, but this is NOT a very good idea for safety reasons. Never leave any tube amplifier on for long periods of time unattended unless you like fires. Most domestic tube amplifiers are not designed for long term continuous operation. The smell will burn off in use, just provide good ventilation during the time you are using it, typically a couple of hundred hours will be required..
Old 17th June 2010, 01:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Sorry to contradict, but this is NOT a very good idea for safety reasons. Never leave any tube amplifier on for long periods of time unattended unless you like fires. Most domestic tube amplifiers are not designed for long term continuous operation. The smell will burn off in use, just provide good ventilation during the time you are using it, typically a couple of hundred hours will be required..
Well I didn't mean when he isn't home. Also you can just leave it on a cement floor and make sure it has a proper fuse.

Hide this!Advertise here!