• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Volume Knob "Power Soak"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Is this what you mean?

Cheers,;)

Attachments

• scholz-powersoak.jpg
    scholz-powersoak.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 331
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

I could be wrong but isn't this basically an L-pad variable resistor allowing one to have the volctrl after the OPT so the tubes all still working full blast?

In that way the sonic signature or distortion characteristics of the guitar amp if you like are still maintained regardless of volume setting?

A high wattage rheostat with a law faking resistor would probably do the trick, I reckon.

Maybe some guitar amp expert like Joel may be able to shed some more light on this.

Cheers,;)

Attachments

• powerbrakeimage.jpg
    powerbrakeimage.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 279
he power brake and power soak seem similar. But both are pretty big the guy that sells them on eBay uses a small stomp box style chasis for his.

Any idea how that might work?
His really doesn't have room for much else than a vol pot...

----------------------------------
As for the idea not sounding to good it's how Boston's guitarist, Tom Scholz, gets his dostortion sound... he created the power soak as well as many other electronic devices for guitarists like those headphone amps you just plug in and play along with yur fav tape or cd.... So I assume it's safe to use he's been doing it for like 30 years. I'm sure you go through tubes much faster though

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.