Hivac XN11 tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th June 2010, 12:36 PM   #1
Dagwood is offline Dagwood  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Default Hivac XN11 tubes

Hi all

Does any have a datasheet for a Hivac XN11 tube?

Cheers
Old 13th June 2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Matt BH is offline Matt BH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

If you are building a nixie clock like the one on Mikes electric stuff then you dont really need the datasheet. If you look in the tube you can see which pin is the Anode, its the one connected to the honeycomb grid structure. The other pins are 0-9. I used a 47K anode resistor with a 180V B+. I used the small switching supply here:

http://www.kosbo.com/index.php?page=...mart&Itemid=18

you could build one but why bother for the price. It is much safer than the directly connected to the mains setup IMO.

Cheers Matt.
Old 13th June 2010, 08:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Matt
Yes I am planning to build one from Mike’s electric stuff, I just wanted to know a little more detail about the tube.
I have just built an inverter similar to this one, inspired by the very helpful Dr Andrew Smith

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://g4oep.atspace.com/efamp/efamp.2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://g4oep.atspace.com/efamp/efamp.htm&h=588&w=646&sz=35&tbnid=4S6H4DQ-h-vUGM:&tbnh=125&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3DEF80&hl=en&usg=__BE08lbR0gN7UTyvGEV03 X-mdHq0=&ei=AFSKS8CiK4380wT6w-nRCw&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=7&ct=image&ved=0C CQQ9QEwBg

Nice little project but I might give one from Kosbo a go for the Nixie clock though?

Cheers
Ben
Old 13th June 2010, 10:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That little switcher board is absolutely perfect I have built a few nixie clocks because they make great pressies.

Mikes circuit is ok but I decided to leave out the 4013 as it seemed a waste and just used a simple two transistor buffer to get a nice 50Hz square wave. I also go for a 24Hr display with a leading zero because the 10s of hours nixie doesnt get enough of its cathodes used otherwise and this can lead to poisoning of the non-used cathodes. With the XN11 you will need this because they are wire ended and you cant just swap them around every month or so. This does involve a few mods to the circuit but its pretty logical funnily enough

Here are a couple of pics of a pair im building this year for christmas presants. The cases are Eddystone die-cast jobs pollished up and the colon indicators are 10mm test tubes cut with a diamond disk and epoxy glued to the ally with a spring ring from the standard Belling Lee TV aerial connector and standard NE2 bulbs stuffed up em. The driver transistors are soldered directly to the sockets of the Russian IN8 tubes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0414.JPG (124.6 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0415.JPG (135.9 KB, 272 views)
Old 14th June 2010, 05:19 AM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Cool Matt..
Old 14th June 2010, 03:26 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Matt

Very nice work, clean and simple.

When you say "10mm test tubes cut with a diamond disk ", how exactly did you go about that???

Very cool anyways.

Ben
Old 18th June 2010, 01:33 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Sorry for not replying but I have been working away all week with no internet.

To cut the small 10mm test tubes I just used a small diamond disk like this:

Diamond Cut Off Disc for Dremel or Drill - 2" / 50mm on eBay (end time 10-Jul-10 18:42:19 BST)

I used it in a pillar drill but a dremel or other drill would do. Just cut a groove around the tube and it should be easy to snap it, wear gloves. You could also use a diamond needle file or normal needle file as long as you dont mind blunting it

Cheers Matt.
Old 18th June 2010, 06:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Kevinkr
Old 19th June 2010, 07:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Hivac XN11 tubes

Thanks Matt

I think I will give that a go on mine as looks very cool and a bit safer as well.

Cheers
Old 7th September 2012, 05:11 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Why all the bother with those switching supplies. Just wind a transformer for the Nixie Clock, or any other project neeeding one. Making Nixie Clock using GE SCS 3N83s. No ICs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NPT.jpg (43.6 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg NCB.jpg (83.5 KB, 145 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!