(INDIA) urgent - high-quality amp builders/techs in Delhi? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2010, 06:40 AM   #1
flood is offline flood  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to flood
Default (INDIA) urgent - high-quality amp builders/techs in Delhi?

copy of my post from hifivision...

------------------------------------------------

Hey there everybody, and good morning from Bombay.

I have a rather pressing matter - a friend of mine from Delhi is the proud owner of a very high quality guitar amplifier - a Bogner XTC - that has a bit of an issue with its standby circuit. there seems to be some sort of overheating problem somewhere in the low-level DC circuits.

Bogner does not have a dealer or support of any kind in the country, i did attempt to fix it and it worked temporarily, but the problem just cropped back again.

Because of this, I'm looking for a GOOD - and by good i mean knowledgeable, neat, meticulous - person who is well versed with tube amplifiers and electronics (i believe there is a logic section that is used to control the relays) on the whole who could take a look at the amp. I've advised my friend to steer clear of music stores and their self-proclaimed technicians, as well as run-of-the-mill repair shops. if you could be so kind and help me here, i'd be rather grateful. this amp is a bit too precious to be maltreated.

there is unfortunately no complete schematic available - bogner keeps it firmly under wraps. there have been bits and pieces provided by bogners tech support though.

Thanks to all in advance!
Old 10th June 2010, 09:52 AM   #2
navin is offline navin  India
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to navin Send a message via Yahoo to navin
I would contact Viren Bakshi of Lyrita Audio Lyrita Audio
Old 10th June 2010, 10:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

viren bakshi it is. the people at hifivision said the same thing... took a look at his site too, looks good.
Old 10th June 2010, 11:48 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

You wont find a better tube guy than him in Delhi. Do listen to his EL34 monoblocks.
Old 10th June 2010, 09:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
You wont find a better tube guy than him in Delhi. Do listen to his EL34 monoblocks.
Do you own the EL34 monoblocks? How is the clarity/sound quality?

Do they ship it to Mumbai or possibly to USA? (with modified AC 120V 60Hz).

Also can anyone recommend a good source to purchase some quality tube gear from India other than Viren Bakshi.

Last edited by imnewbie; 10th June 2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11th June 2010, 04:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

in a higher price bracket, i believe cadence (pune) make some unbelievably good amps - Welcome to CadenceAudio WebSite
Old 11th June 2010, 06:36 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I've heard a bit about this Cadence audio. Speakers are good but there are better choices in similar priced ultra-high end boutique market.

Amp. THD specs are impressive for the VA 1.0, however some of the tube gear out there with similar numbers are not utilizing pure wholesome tube electronics.
Old 11th June 2010, 10:00 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood View Post
i believe cadence (pune) make some unbelievably good amps - Welcome to CadenceAudio WebSite
LOL. Cadence (Pune - run be Ajay Shirke and co) cannot be compared to Lyrita. They cater to different audiences.

Cadence is a well funded company with Kapil Dev as their brand amabassador etc. Lyrita is a much smaller company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnewbie View Post
Do you own the EL34 monoblocks? How is the clarity/sound quality?

Also can anyone recommend a good source to purchase some quality tube gear from India other than Viren Bakshi.
My EL34 amps are DIY and unfinished (I am woefully short on time).

If you are looking for someone in Mumbai itself try Mohamed Ansar of BE3 amps. He is in Vashi or Vasai (I forget which) which is about 2 hours from South Mumbai by car. I have talked to him but never met him. Seems like a reasonable guy.

Another alternate is Staarc Audio in Bangalore. They have a few models including a 845. If I remember right they use the ECC 81/82 tubes (not my favourite).

That said I am told that the Jadis tube amps are made in India but I have yet to see concrete evidence of the same! Marbin are you around?

Miracle (in Bangalore) makes very nice power transformers, and tubes and OPTs are available in many local markets (mostly ECC83, 6L6, El84, etc..).

Let us know exactly what you want so we can help you better.
Old 12th June 2010, 09:26 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

oh yeah, forgot all about starc audio... Starc audio Electronics-High end audio

i build tube amps too, but most of my exploits are guitar amps. i did just order some 40W output transformers for 6L6 or EL34 monoblocks from plitron's partner in south india. what exactly are you looking for though?

@navin - you own a marshall studio 15? the "little fatty" with the 6V6s and attenuator? nice!

i'm not sure but i think i heard about you off the forums from a friend, who talked about this navin guy he knew who spends a lot of time testing out different speakers... i thought, hm, i remember someone like that....
Old 14th June 2010, 05:42 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flood View Post
i did just order some 40W output transformers for 6L6 or EL34 monoblocks from plitron's partner in south india. what exactly are you looking for though?

@navin - you own a marshall studio 15? the "little fatty" with the 6V6s and attenuator? nice!

i'm not sure but i think i heard about you off the forums from a friend, who talked about this navin guy he knew who spends a lot of time testing out different speakers... i thought, hm, i remember someone like that....
1. I much prefer the OPTs made by SAC to Plitron SAC Thailand

2. How did you know? Kya jasoosi kar raha hai? I have a Lead 12 (transistor) and a Studio 15 (aka thin lizzy aka 4001) and was hoping Ansar would find the time to build me the 18W (EL84 PP) - I already have the required valves and OPT just do not have the time. My guitars are a 1986 Fernandez Strat copy (Made in Japan), A custom made by Salu Diaz (Alberto) using Grover heads, DiMarzio Pickups, A Floyd Rose tremelo, Bubinca body, and Maple neck with ebony fretboard, and a Yamaha.

3. You heard of me? That is very odd. Must be someone else. I have been inactive in Audio since the mid 90s ...but between 1976 and 1995 I built about 20 pairs of speakers using drivers from Philips, JBL/UREI, Focal, Dynaudio, Vifa, Morel, Audax, etc..so maybe you heard from an OLD guy!

I was indulged by my dad and his friends (one of the first speakers I took apart was my dad's friend's DQ10s and added a Audax mid and Decca ribbon to this speaker).

Last edited by navin; 14th June 2010 at 05:46 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!