• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

my CELLINI triode amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Keantoken for the good words on the amp. I'd be interested to hear more about your receiver (PM me) as I have one too !

The question about the source is a bang on the money. I don't plan to look at making a better amp than Cellini without considering the whole audio chain because the source maybe the weak link. But broadly speaking, what I gather from reading so far, there are key points in the chain where tube amps are believed to offer a benefit - and these points are where the electronics interface with the real world - transducers (the microphone/pick-up/speaker). It's a topic I'm not very knowledgeable of and probably deserves a separate thread to cover it properly.

In terms of there being a specific flaw in SS amps - I'd suggest this is not the way to think about it. I'd suggest that different amplifiers with their respective topologies, types of active devices, construction details and operating points each have their own pro's and con's and the skill of the designer shines through in how he/she makes all the relevant choices.

I'd be honoured to try out your headphone amp ! - but I don't have any high quality headphones. I may be able to borrow a pair, I'd have to ask around.

Very helpful insights, thank you. If your speakers are sensitive, you don't need headphones. The amp is rugged enough and as it's class A can be scaled up a little without major modifications. I'm running mine on my BetsyK's which get to 5.4ohms at 250Hz and have never had problems with clipping whatsoever. Even so, I'm using a pair of Koss portapros, bought for $32, and I'm happy!

- keantoken

Gudonya, Gareth,

Nice circuit, conventional, simple, zero feedback.

The ZFB may well be the reason you like this amp so much...

An output tube worth considering is the KT90, quite decent power, too.

Hugh

PS: Pete Millett did a very nice 813 SET using a 12HG7 IIRC, inexpensive, excellent power, very low low order distortion, worth a look.

Hugh, thanks for the kind words - it does seem that the traditional SET has a good reputation for a good reason !

You might be right, it may be the zero feedback, I know that the harmonic profile wasn't sufficient to meet my listening needs judging from testing of my SS amps. I think I'm gonna have to try a zero feedback SS amp to round out the testing.

Attachments

• IMG_0514.JPG
    IMG_0514.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 444
Well it's nearly two years for Cellini and time to review it and perhaps make some adjustments.

I have a pair of Hammond 835 transformers that can be wired to give me a 1:2 voltage ratio. This will give me a bit more gain - the amp has a gain of 1.8 at the present time.

I wired up a transformer this evening (photo on left) to try it out. And it seems to work quite well. The family said the sound was clearly more 'lively' - it is louder and there didn't appear to be much lost in sound quality. The freq. response of the transformer does imply some loss in the extremes.

The other photo (on the right) was from a new amp a friend of mine just built and it reminds me why I like tubes :D

Attachments

• input transformer.JPG
    input transformer.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 291
  • SV811 small.JPG
    SV811 small.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 287
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.