How to Ground a Preamp PCB Board? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st May 2010, 11:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How to Ground a Preamp PCB Board?

I will soon (hopefully) be assembling a tube preamp using the Aikido line and Tetra phono boards. Reading over the information about the Aikido All in One I came across the topic "Chassis Ground" where it says "Chassis Ground Jumper J7 connects the PCBs ground to the chassis through the top leftmost mounting hole... Warning: if rubber O-rings are used with PCB standoffs, then the ground connection to the chassis is not likely to be made..."

I was going to use EAR Isoloss Sandwich Mounts, which I have, to isolate the PCB board (similar to the construction used by Joule Electra) but that would mean there would be no ground connection. Could I run a ground wire from the appropriate PCB mounting screw to the same chassis lug where the IEC is grounded?
Old 1st June 2010, 01:06 AM   #2
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

You should probably read the article at the link below.

Audio Component Grounding and Interconnection
Old 1st June 2010, 04:36 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default re. Audio Component Grounding and Interconnection

Yes I agree; although I had searched the Forums I came across this resource after I posted my question. I'm still going through the article but am still unsure if my solution to grounding the pcb board is appropriate.
Old 2nd June 2010, 04:32 AM   #4
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Not being familiar with that PCB, I guess it depends on the ground scheme used on the board (and the type of inputs, etc). It's difficult to tell, from the quote you included, whether J7 is an optional way to ground it, or THE way they expect it to be grounded. At any rate, they might not have done it the best way. So I'd study the relevant parts of the linked article.

Hide this!Advertise here!