• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How to Ground a Preamp PCB Board?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will soon (hopefully) be assembling a tube preamp using the Aikido line and Tetra phono boards. Reading over the information about the Aikido All in One I came across the topic "Chassis Ground" where it says "Chassis Ground Jumper J7 connects the PCB’s ground to the chassis through the top leftmost mounting hole... Warning: if rubber O-rings are used with PCB standoffs, then the ground connection to the chassis is not likely to be made..."

I was going to use EAR Isoloss Sandwich Mounts, which I have, to isolate the PCB board (similar to the construction used by Joule Electra) but that would mean there would be no ground connection. Could I run a ground wire from the appropriate PCB mounting screw to the same chassis lug where the IEC is grounded?

re. Audio Component Grounding and Interconnection

Yes I agree; although I had searched the Forums I came across this resource after I posted my question. I'm still going through the article but am still unsure if my solution to grounding the pcb board is appropriate.

Not being familiar with that PCB, I guess it depends on the ground scheme used on the board (and the type of inputs, etc). It's difficult to tell, from the quote you included, whether J7 is an optional way to ground it, or THE way they expect it to be grounded. At any rate, they might not have done it the best way. So I'd study the relevant parts of the linked article.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.