2010: Replacement for Black Gate WKZ 100uF+100uF 500V - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 07:01 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Default 2010: Replacement for Black Gate WKZ 100uF+100uF 500V

As for today, what is the best replacement part for the Black Gate WKZ 100uF+100uF 500V?

Any one has experience with Mundorf M-Lytic and Panasonic THSA?

Thanks in advance for help.
  Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 09:39 PM   #2
kmtang is offline kmtang  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
kmtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
Mundorf M-Lytic or Jensen electrolytics are good replacement for Black Gate.


Johnny
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 03:47 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Thanks Johnny.
I will try Mundorf M-Lytic first then since it's much cheaper

Anyone try F&T (germany)?
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 06:53 AM   #4
ervinl is offline ervinl  Indonesia
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
I use J&J 100-100 / 500V, so far it is good with the price far less than BG WKZ. The (sound) quality may be above standard Nippon Chemicon I used before. Never use F&T yet.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 08:23 AM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I think better to use 4x500V film caps, if space allows. They will be better and more reliable then any electrolytic caps on planet earth. I have a couple of 47uF/400V and dimensions are 45x70 mm. IMHO demise of Black Gate is largely due to development and sharp price drop of large film and multi-layer ceramic caps.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 06:11 PM   #6
kmtang is offline kmtang  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
kmtang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vancouver
I've tried using Solen polyproperene film capacitor for the B+ bypass. I just don't like the sound of it. It sounds thin and lack of dynamics. I used all Blackgate caps in my 45, 2A3 and 300B SE amps.

I still have one or two WKZ caps for my future projects.


Johnny
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 06:46 PM   #7
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
 
jean-paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuksGuru View Post
IMHO demise of Black Gate is largely due to development and sharp price drop of large film and multi-layer ceramic caps.
This is definitely not true. The caps were produced at Rubycon that needed the production line for larger numbers of other caps ( AFAIK computer grade polymer caps ). Jelmax asked several times if there was a possibility to continue production but got no for an answer.

There was no price problem whatsoever compared to film caps. Black Gate WKZ were simply superior and they were well worth the money. Heard them a few times and I heard the owners being very satisfied with them. As I am not a true tube guy I never used WKZ but I still use N and NX HiQ series and I think it is a great pity that they are not produced anymore. I would not know what to use if my stock is gone as there are not so many caps so small and so good. Whenever I found a replacement they were much too big for my application, and way more expensive than BG too.

Only the standard series were not very special, you could compare those to large film caps ( but not multi-layer ceramic caps, no way ).
__________________
It's only audio. Official member of the Norske Brillegeit Gang.

Last edited by jean-paul; 1st June 2010 at 06:57 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 09:57 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Maryland
I would recommend the Continental Capacitors Type A oil-filled---25uf, 650v. I am now using it as the first cap in my amp CLC filters. The second cap position is still a 100uf WKZ. I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with the BG WKZ and it's not an exact swap in any case, but the Continental sounds very good regardless. I prefer it to the other oil-filled caps I've tried in the same spot---ASC 20uf and GE 97F 15uf.

Dave
  Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 10:34 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
This is definitely not true. The caps were produced at Rubycon that needed the production line for larger numbers of other caps ( AFAIK computer grade polymer caps ). Jelmax asked several times if there was a possibility to continue production but got no for an answer.
They could be manufactured at many others factories if there was a real demand for them. BTW, some Rubicons (and many other so called audiophile grade caps) are actually sourced from third-party Chinese OEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
There was no price problem whatsoever compared to film caps. Black Gate WKZ were simply superior and they were well worth the money. Heard them a few times and I heard the owners being very satisfied with them. As I am not a true tube guy I never used WKZ but I still use N and NX HiQ series and I think it is a great pity that they are not produced anymore. I would not know what to use if my stock is gone as there are not so many caps so small and so good. Whenever I found a replacement they were much too big for my application, and way more expensive than BG too.

Only the standard series were not very special, you could compare those to large film caps ( but not multi-layer ceramic caps, no way ).
It is not possible to listen caps alone because there many other components in between - from tubes to speakers and room. BG may have certain advantages over other electrolytes (and may not, taking into account continuous improvements of technology). And none so far conducted double blind tests which could prove BG magic sound hype. High-voltage 50uF film caps are quite large and quite expensive, but they worth their cost.
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2010, 02:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Actually I'm statisfied in combining Blackgate WKZ with Mundorf M-Lytic.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best replacement for black gate 100uF N 50v cap folkeb Chip Amps 25 27th December 2008 07:55 PM
FS: 4 BlackGate 100uF 500V Wkz capacitors Joseph0 Swap Meet 2 7th August 2007 04:07 AM
Black Gate 100uf + 100uf 350v MarkHathaway Swap Meet 0 22nd December 2006 12:19 PM
Have: RCA 5692 red base (nos), Want: Black Gate WKZ 100uF cathode_leak Swap Meet 2 18th May 2005 04:37 AM
FS Black Gate SKZ 350v 100uf/100uf x 2 capacitors Mark Hathaway Swap Meet 0 1st March 2004 09:25 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 08:22 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2