otions for drawing tube schematics on Mac..? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2010, 05:00 PM   #1
paba is offline paba  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default otions for drawing tube schematics on Mac..?

Just googled for a while and came out with very slim pickings...free or shareware.

even if you just want to draw...without simulation... can't be we are 2010 and mac osx is not just for photo, music and desk top publishing work anymore...

help
/paba
Old 25th May 2010, 06:08 PM   #2
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

You haven't Googled enough

Cadsoft Eagle has Mac version in addition to Windows and Linux and allows unlimited schematic size.

Remember to download tubes library as well !
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 25th May 2010, 06:38 PM   #3
paba is offline paba  Canada
diyAudio Member

I had spotted the Eagle but did not see the extra tube library... I'll give it a try tonight and report back.

thanks
/paba
Old 25th May 2010, 07:06 PM   #4
Arnulf is offline Arnulf  Europe
diyAudio Member

I use it (although not on Mac platform), it works like a charm.
mod verb, transitive /mod/ to state that one is utterly clueless about the operation of device to be "modded" and into "fixing" things that are not broken; "My new amplifier sounds great so I want to mod it."
Old 25th May 2010, 07:39 PM   #5
работник
diyAudio Member

Visit Wine HQ

WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X

Allows Windows applications to run on Linux, BSD and OSX platforms.

Electronics CAD seems to be very fortunate with Wine, and the best programmes work perfectly with it. I use Kubuntu (Linux) with Wine to run LTSPICE for tube circuit simulation and schematics, Easy-PC for schematic PCB, and the free version of DIPTRACE for PCBs too. LTSPICE & DIPTRACE are even designed specially to work with WINE.

PSUDii works perfectly too.

I find Windows (even W7) to be loathsome, so it's just as well these things are so well worked out. And Kubuntu/Ubuntu can be installed dual-boot on Mac hardware too, so you can join in with the open source pleasures.

WINE is not some crappy emulator. Everything runs full speed.
Old 25th May 2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Yes, Eagle is probably the best choice.

You can find Eagle in your dictionary. Just look up 'World's Worst User Interface' and the download links will be right there.
Old 25th May 2010, 10:18 PM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are lots of really good absoultly 1st class professional CAD software for the Mac (i use VectorWorks), and some decent less expensive packages. This is the site that covers the subject Architosh - Welcome to the #1 Mac CAD / 3D / AEC Website

Freeware & shareware is a bit scarcer. Here is one CADintosh

The best implementation of WINE on the Mac is http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/, but i can't see why anyone would put up with the lousy Window's UI if they didn't have to.

For instance, Vectorworks is cross platform with identical features, but the Windows version, with the native UI, is not nearly as elegant as the Mac version (a big reason 70% of the local architects are on Macs)

dave
Old 25th May 2010, 10:55 PM   #8
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
There are lots of really good absoultly 1st class professional CAD software for the Mac (i use VectorWorks), and some decent less expensive packages. This is the site that covers the subject Architosh - Welcome to the #1 Mac CAD / 3D / AEC Website

Freeware & shareware is a bit scarcer. Here is one CADintosh

The best implementation of WINE on the Mac is Windows Applications Seamlessly Integrated on Mac OS X - Mac Windows - CodeWeavers, but i can't see why anyone would put up with the lousy Window's UI if they didn't have to.

For instance, Vectorworks is cross platform with identical features, but the Windows version, with the native UI, is not nearly as elegant as the Mac version (a big reason 70% of the local architects are on Macs)

dave
I also use Vectorworks. While I would not consider it a schem capture program, there is nothing to prevent you form doing that. It just doesn't have the normal snap-to line function you normally get with a schematic capture package.

For whatever reason, every schematic capture package and layout program I have tried is a user interface disaster, regardless of platform.
Old 25th May 2010, 11:06 PM   #9
R.I.P.

I use old ClarisCAD on a OS9 machine. Does everything I want, and is far easier to use than VectorWorks, which I also have. Quick & slick.

I have built up my own tube & traffo drawings to use in ClarisCAD.

Regards, Allen
Old 25th May 2010, 11:11 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I agree on the schematic capture UIs...

VW has a bunch of features that make drawing schema a pleasure... rubberband lines can be a blessing and a curse, i'm happy to live without them. VW comes with a tube symbol library, but over time i drew my own,

Attached are some examples of drawings i've done

dave.
Attached Images
File Type: gif ELL80SE-spud.gif (17.0 KB, 121 views)
File Type: gif modded-RCA-RIAA.gif (11.3 KB, 124 views)
File Type: gif ECL86SE.gif (14.3 KB, 122 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!