• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Favourite EL34 circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I'm getting the itch to do some major re-working of my current amp, a DIY Hifi Supply Ella. It uses a pretty conventional circuit: SRPP 6922's, 6SN7 LTP , fixed bias EL34 or KT88 with some modifications. Sounds very good so I am wondering if there are better sounding circuits out there.
One that interests me is Allen Wright's PP1 that uses differential, cascoded 6922 into the EL34's.
pp_1c_s.gif

pp_1c_ps_s.gif

People with much more experience than me have praised this circuit . I'm thinking I could keep the existing chassis,power supply and fixed bias output stage and slot in the input stage.
Allen doen't show any voltages. Can I calculate what the current is through the CCS in the diff amp part?
Is fixed bias an improvement? Any other circuits I could look at?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
Allen's all-balanced design is one way of doing it. I'm more familiar with an all-balanced three-stage approach using 6SL7 LTP splitter - 6SN7 diff. driver - EL34s. Coupling between 1st and 2nd stages is done with step networks, to enable reasonable voltages to be used. I like to use cross-coupled balanced NFB loops from final plates to first stage plates. PSRR with these all-balanced designs is really good, giving negligible hum.

Another good topology is the Mullard-style circuit. It's important to use very good smoothing for the 1st stage B+, which can be sensitive to ripple.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.