Medium power SET with parallel OP tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2010, 10:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Medium power SET with parallel OP tubes

Background:
Recently I purchased an amazing low cost SET integrated amplifier: MP-401 EL156 Integrated Amplifier [MP-401] - $599.99 : Musical Paradise - Audio Art . It's the first SET I owned or listened to and I'm highly impressed by it's sound quality, which, as I understand, is to be expected from good SET amps.

Alas, this amp with it's declared 15Watt doesn't have enough power to drive my speakers to their full ability. Also, in high listening volume it distorts.

I guess I need about 30-50 Watt. Commercial SET amps of such power are way beyond my finances. Being retired, I just cannot buy a commercial one. So, I'll have to build one myself.

The Musical Paradise MP-401 comes with Chinese EL156 and I like their sound very much. I tried Chinese KT88 and Russian (SED) 6550 on this amp and a Push-Pull one and I didn't like their sound. So, the amp I'm going to start with will be based on the Chinese EL156. In order to get more power I'll have to use parallel output tubes.

Question:
Since I have zero experience with SET amps, I'd like to hear from you, experienced DIY'ers: when all else is equal, should I expect degradation of performance when parallel OP tubes are used in a SET amp? (Yes, I'm aware of the fact that the amp's sound quality will be up to the OP trafo used).

Basic decisions:
1. HT of about 420-450 Volt (for maximum OP power).
2. Class A1 operation (for purest sound).
3. Very little local negative feedback (for somewhat reducing harmonic distortion without big undesirable impact on the sound).

The options:
Right now I see 3 basic options:
Option 1: Fixed bias from regulated negative supply, adjusted individually for each one of the 3 OP tubes.
Benefits:
A. Avoiding the dreadful capacitor necessary for cathode bias.
B. Maintaining equal quiescent current for each one of the 3 OP tubes.
Drawbacks:
A. Should the bias voltage change or fail, the OP tubes will burn out.
B. Higher parts count than on the other options, especially input capacitors.

Option 2: Fixed bias from regulated negative supply, adjusted to bias shared by all 3 OP tubes.
Benefits:
C. Avoiding the dreadful capacitor necessary for cathode bias.
D. Lowest parts count.
Drawback: Should the bias voltage change or fail, the OP tubes will burn out.

Option 3: Cathode bias, shared by all 3 OP tubes.
Benefits:
E. The conventional method usually used in Class A1 SET OP amps, safe for the OP tubes.
F. Low parts count.
Drawback: the dreadful capacitor necessary for cathode bias.

All comments and suggestions are welcomed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SET 1.jpg (64.4 KB, 339 views)
File Type: jpg SET 2.jpg (53.3 KB, 326 views)
File Type: jpg SET 3.jpg (48.7 KB, 326 views)
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:48 PM   #2
DrRick is offline DrRick  United States
diyAudio Member

Josh,
Given your financial restraints for this project, you may first want to explore the cost of 15-30 watt SE output transformers.
Old 23rd May 2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Grin is offline Grin  United States
diyAudio Member

You already have a nice tube amp. So you just need to change you speakers, believe me, 10-12W is more then enough for 30-40 m2 room if you will get 92dB - 95dB speakers.
Old 23rd May 2010, 01:46 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRick View Post
Josh,
Given your financial restraints for this project, you may first want to explore the cost of 15-30 watt SE output transformers.
That much I believe I can afford.
Old 23rd May 2010, 01:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grin View Post
You already have a nice tube amp. So you just need to change you speakers, believe me, 10-12W is more then enough for 30-40 m2 room if you will get 92dB - 95dB speakers.
Oh no, I'm not going to replace my speakers, which are the best part of my stereo setup, Brodmann VC2: Bösendorfer Audio - Tubeprofi . 15 Watt isn't enough. That is, I get enough loudness, but it's not there yet.
Old 23rd May 2010, 01:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm going to build this amp anyhow, so, any comments on the design options will be highly appreciated.
Old 23rd May 2010, 02:10 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua_G View Post
I'm going to build this amp anyhow, so, any comments on the design options will be highly appreciated.

If you regulate the bias supply, you MUST regulate B+ too.

"Fixed" or combination bias is a good idea, when employing paralleled "finals". The "idle" currents must match or "smearing" occurs.
Old 23rd May 2010, 10:34 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks Eli.
I intended to regulate the +B initially. I thought of minding the power supply after having the amp's circuit.
By smearing, do you mean smeared sound? When idle currents are matched, should there be no degradation in sound, compared to conventional SET with only 1 OP tube?
Old 23rd May 2010, 11:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

I would use individual biases but a single cap driving all the tubes (actually I'd allow space to 2 caps in parallel) - allowing for interesting combos.

I'd also go back to your original amp and experiment at clipping (maybe into a big resistive load!) with an oscilloscope, as the operating point of the driver and/or output tubes may be clipping asymmetrically reducing the potential output.

Speakers look really good BTW, and fairly sensitive. With my 13wpc Sweet Peach GU50 powered SE amp I get adequate levels from my 87dB/W Usher X-718 speakers (also with wood and piano black finish!).
Old 23rd May 2010, 12:14 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globulator View Post
I would use individual biases but a single cap driving all the tubes (actually I'd allow space to 2 caps in parallel) - allowing for interesting combos.

Do you mean individual fixed grid bias as in my first option with the 3 grids fed from 1 input cap? In such a case it will be impossible to match the idle current between the 3 tubes, since all 3 grids will be DC connected and will see the same bias.

Quote:
I'd also go back to your original amp and experiment at clipping (maybe into a big resistive load!) with an oscilloscope, as the operating point of the driver and/or output tubes may be clipping asymmetrically reducing the potential output.

Clipping asymmetrically between the L and R channels? Both the driver and output tubes for each channel are single ended.

Quote:
Speakers look really good BTW, and fairly sensitive. With my 13wpc Sweet Peach GU50 powered SE amp I get adequate levels from my 87dB/W Usher X-718 speakers (also with wood and piano black finish!).

I also get adequate level, but distorted on high listening levels. I assume the distortion comes noticeable even before clipping.

Hide this!Advertise here!