• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

use 2 ohm speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I suspect it is a bad idea for the reasons that (1) it will reflect a much lower plate load to the tubes, resulting in higher distortion, (2) possibly excessive loading, (3) it will result in odd sharing of the power to the speakers with 1/3 to the 8 ohm and 2/3 to the 4 ohm one at nominal impedance.

What are the two speakers in parallel, and why?

I would work to raise the impedance. You will be loading the power tubes are barely more than half of what they are expecting (~1500 ohms instead of 3000) so they will not make power and they will make a lot of distortion.

If you set the speaker up at 16 ohms, or 12, you will have lot easier time of making power, and the amp will make less distortion. Going to higher impedance in the speaker is a very easy way of making it seem more transparent for this reason, and it almost does not matter what kind of amp is driving it!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
No problem
As Doug said, you need a crossover
Drivers will not be in paralel the way you think
cap and inductor causes impedance rise

And You may need some BSC compensation
A small series resistor on your alpair6 might be part of that
5-6 ohm is realistic

But I dont know if fullrange forum is the right place to teach about crosssovers :scared::D
But you cant just paralel the two drivers
You would get severe phase issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.