4K or 5K Output Transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th May 2010, 11:11 AM   #1
el156 is offline el156  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default 4K or 5K Output Transformer

HI All !
I would like in Near Future to make a single ended amp with EL156, but i cant find a cheap transformer 0f 4K! The ones i found are Bartolucci an very expensive! And the question is, can i use a 5K instead of 4K ? does it cause problems or just lost of power?
The power should be 25W and 100 ma DC pass!
Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 12:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can use 5 kohm, You will little bit lost only power, but bass will sound
better!
Old 19th May 2010, 12:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I donīt know if you will run pentode, UL, Schade or triode? Just use the Ua/Ia curves to find out. You can then double check the results i Spice.

I have just designed an EL156 Schade with E280F driver and that one is 425V/5k/100mA.

I would advice you to go 5k just as azazello recommends.
Old 19th May 2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Yvesm is offline Yvesm  France
diyAudio Member

An output transformer has no impedance by itself, it just multiplies the one of the loudspeaker by a more or less frequency dependent constant factor.
So, you must consider at first the real impedance of your loudspeaker system wich may also change by a factor as high as five along the frequency range.
In front of that, 4 or 5K is "peanuts".
My

Yves.
Old 19th May 2010, 01:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintage View Post
I donīt know if you will run pentode, UL, Schade or triode? Just use the Ua/Ia curves to find out. You can then double check the results i Spice.

I have just designed an EL156 Schade with E280F driver and that one is 425V/5k/100mA.

I would advice you to go 5k just as azazello recommends.
Hi !
I want to use the El156 as pentode with Va 450V ,Ra 4K, Rk 90 Ohms, and i should have 25W in class A! But if i use Ra of 5K instead of 4K ,do i have the same results? Can you recommend a nice (and cheap transformer to do the job?
Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 02:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Theoretically you will get in the ballpark of 20W with 4k and maybe 2W lower with 5k. So the difference will be very small using Us=350.
The 25W mentioned is probably with gross and unaccetable THD. But donīt expect low distortion with the above figures either.

Last edited by revintage; 19th May 2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 19th May 2010, 02:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Theoretically you will get in the ballpark of 20W with 4k and maybe 2W lower with 5k. So the difference will be very small using Us=350.
The 25W mentioned is probably with gross and unaccetable THD. But donīt expect low distortion with the above figures either.
THANKS
I want to make this amp with original telefunken schematic! And they say that with this circuit we will have 25W in class A, but i will be very happy if i have at least 10W with an accetable THD! Any suggestions for the output transformers?
Thanks a lot
Silvino from Portugal
Old 19th May 2010, 02:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hey Silvino,

As Swede I of course recommend Lundahl but there must be lot to choose from out there. If you want something in the lower pricerange a Mars from vt4c could do. Have a few friends who tried them and they seems descent.

Do you have the original Telfunken schematic? Would be nice if you could publish it here.
Old 19th May 2010, 02:46 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hey Silvino,

As Swede I of course recommend Lundahl but there must be lot to choose from out there. If you want something in the lower pricerange a Mars from vt4c could do. Have a few friends who tried them and they seems descent.

Do you have the original Telfunken schematic? Would be nice if you could publish it here.
Hi again!
Yes , i have all the original telefunken schematics! i will post them as soon i have my scanner working! And i also have the original Telefunken El156! I only needed the sockets , but i recently bought them from Holland in JUKEBOX-REVIVAL !
Thanks
Old 19th May 2010, 04:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazello View Post
You can use 5 kohm, You will little bit lost only power, but bass will sound
better!
and You will decrease little bit second harmonic for better reality.

Hide this!Advertise here!