• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Good speakers to match a K-12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a custom K-12G, and I am trying to decide on a good pair of speakers to match. From what I have gathered so far, all that is needed are a pair of high efficiency (>90dB/W) speakers. Each channel outputs 10W, and they will be used just in a smaller room setting, so the speakers need not be too large. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have also been attempting to find a good site to buy speakers, but I am having trouble doing even this. Thanks!:)

I am building a custom K-12G, and I am trying to decide on a good pair of speakers to match. From what I have gathered so far, all that is needed are a pair of high efficiency (>90dB/W) speakers. Each channel outputs 10W, and they will be used just in a smaller room setting, so the speakers need not be too large. Does anybody have any suggestions? I have also been attempting to find a good site to buy speakers, but I am having trouble doing even this. Thanks!:)

High efficiency is a must, as you have noted. In general, tube amplifiers and efficient full-range drivers are "made for each other", so give some thought to going that route. Assuming that you'll also DIY your speakers...

At the low end, a pair of Pioneer B20's in simple sealed box (see ZillaAudio.com, Outdoor Speakers | Rock Speakers | Garden Speakers | Patio Speakers | In-Wall Speakers | Ceiling Speakers and more! ) is a good place to start. The B20 isn't really "full-range", its response falls off dramatically after 10 khz, so adding a tweeter with a 2uf cap (for a 10 khz hi-pass) is a good idea.

From there, the construction complexity and driver cost goes up, sometimes a lot, but the rewards are more-or-less proportional.

For multi-way systems, I'm partial horns and compression drivers for mid-range and treble duties. The Econo-Wave project has received almost universal praise and is next on my list of speaker projects. The "standard" build, AK Design Collaborative - Econo-Waveguide Speaker - Page 621 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums , is probably at the upper end of what the K12 can drive, but in your small room, it would probably work. With a more efficient woofer, it would almost certainly be capable of more than the room can handle.

Congrat's on the new amplifier, and good luck with the hunt for speakers that will do it justice.

Are you planning to build your own speakers, or purchase some?

I was running my K-502 with some Tekton 6.5 speakers in a small office and it sounded nice (once the drivers were broken in).

If you DIY, I'd suggest doing a BIB build with a single full range driver.

I also tried the amp with a few multi-way speakers and it did pretty good.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the responses thus far,

I don't think I have the time (or carpentry skill) to do a full DIY speaker set, though are there any kits worth considering? Or can you buy pre-built enclosures and buy drivers to suit? I am guessing just mounting everything on a box would give poor results.

At least I now have a couple sites to browse through.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.