• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How is wattage calculated when only using a single section?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've never seen any references that states that you can exceed the dissipation limit if you only run one section. Normally it's thee other way around, the max dissipation is listed per section and sometimes there is a more strict limit for both sections combined. One extreme example is the 6BX7 which has a 10W per section limit but only 12W for both sections.

/Olof

Look, it's a tradeoff: dissipation versus lifespan, and with higher dissipation comes the increased linearity.

How long do you want your tube to last ? People have run EL84 in RF duty (!) at 30+W (!!). Yes, it didn't as last long as specified in datasheet, but it worked while it did.

Run your tube close to datasheet's specified maximum dissipation and you're likely to get the datasheet's suggested lifespan of what, 1-5K hours. Run your [preamp] tube (which is what you've got there) at lower than maximum disipation and it will last "forever".

Thanks for the education. Yes, I can live with replacing the tubes every year or couple years if they need it. I wasn't sure if I was causing harm like a meltdown inside the tube.

That clears it up. This circuit sounds best running over 11mA of bias currant. Just going up to 249 and dropping the wattage down to 2.07W from 2.20W dropped the bias current to around 10.2-10.5 whereas it was at 11.2-11.5 which sounded better.

By the way I'm running the 'naked' resistors by Texas Corp. Really transparent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.