Fuse Clip for Small Plate Cap Use - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2010, 05:44 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fuse Clip for Small Plate Cap Use

The small size skirted top caps used by many sweep tubes are troublesome. The current crop of Chinese top caps don't fit very well, or ride high and look dorky (or both), not to mention exposing metal bits at high potential.

Attached is a picture of a partial solution - a commonly available fuse clip. I bought a bag of these on E-pay, and they are available in many configurations from your usual line-up of catalog distributors. The clip fits snugly on the top part of the cap, solving one problem. The fast-on connector provides a secure place to solder the plate wire. What's missing is an insulating shroud that goes all the way down to the glass, but busy little beavers out there will no doubt come up with something. One person in another thread suggested using a silicone distributor cap/spark plug connector boot - not a bad idea, and not all that expensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clip1.jpg (29.7 KB, 214 views)
Old 11th May 2010, 05:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here's another view of the fuse clip used on the plate cap of a 6GV6, a typical small/medium size sweep tube using the small skirted plate cap. It's a nice fit on a 6BQ6, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clip2.jpg (30.2 KB, 207 views)
Old 11th May 2010, 06:19 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Silicone tubing (~1/2" ID) would also make a nice boot... Some sellers on Ebay are offering "milk tubing" at 2-3 dollars/foot. Mc Master-Carr also sells appropriate silicone tubing in several colors

Last edited by wrenchone; 11th May 2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: added info
Old 11th May 2010, 02:45 PM   #4
mltube is offline mltube  United States
diyAudio Member

Default covering idea...

Solder your wire, then snap an old fuse in place, and then use Plasti-dip.
It comes in many colors and is good insulation.
Cheers
mltube
Old 11th May 2010, 07:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have my doubts about plasti-dip standing up to the heat in the long run - also, It'll look lumpy...
Old 15th May 2010, 04:04 PM   #6
w5jag is offline w5jag  United States
diyAudio Member

That's a nice idea, thanks for sharing it.

Have you tried heat shrink tubing to insulate it?

Even some of the vintage plate caps can ride high. I have a bunch of Millen's and some ride higher than others.

Win W5JAG
Old 15th May 2010, 08:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Heat shrink would work, it just won't be very pretty. For the small skirted caps, anything not specifically designed to cover the skirt will ride high. There were some plastic plate caps in the old days that worked, but I haven't seen any of those for 40 years. The fuse clip also fits my newlyacquired Russian Geiger tubes.
Old 15th May 2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Sendy is offline Sendy  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Heat shrink is not good idea. I think better is somethink of laboratory ceramic glassware, little ceramic crater or crucible, and silicone glue.
Old 11th February 2011, 03:58 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

An idea - the little ceramic cups used with TIG torches would work with this concept, with a little silicone (the hard variety if you can find it) to center the plate wire and anchor it in place.

Edit - Look for "TIG Nozzle" on E-pay to see what I mean. A lot of the items available are pink, but WTF... I've been thinking of doing a petite pink-and-blue amp anyway that I'll call "Ladies Choice", especially as I now have 100 pieces of pink LEDs for pilot lights....

Last edited by wrenchone; 11th February 2011 at 04:08 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11th February 2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Matt BH is offline Matt BH  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hey Wrenchone, I guess the topcaps are quarter inch? If thy are you can use the collet from a control knob. Some of them are phenolic material which should be fine with heat, in which case you amy be able to keep the plastic part of the knob and put a solder tag in the top. Otherwise you can smash the plastic off and use any of the other methods of insulation. Much like this sort of thing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagesCAWGCKUS.jpg (4.2 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg imagesCAYZ58JA.jpg (7.4 KB, 75 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!