• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Does anyone have any FFT plots from real Class-AB tube amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These are some nice results! My faith in tube amps has been restored. I hope I can achieve such good figures when I build my amplifier design

I think my simulator adds a lot of high order trash due to the inaccuracies of its tube models...

Your FFT plots looked like they were from a square wave - can you post up the output waveform at high power for that?

Compare with my 7+7W ECL82 amp using a regulated PSU. As expected, the power supply harmonics have vanished. Again this amp is capable of clean exceptional performance.

richy

Attachments

• 7W spectrum pout.gif
    7W spectrum pout.gif
    24 KB · Views: 121
Although I don't really know how the distortion wave is derived, I see that it's smaller peaks occur when cutoff is being reached or ended. I've always wondered whether these class AB moments are a "distortion" and wonder if all class AB has some of this going on.

Yes, I would think that all AB amps have crossover distortion when in Class B. The amount is dependant on the tube and its operating point.

When making some changes to my amp tonight, I threw the scope on the cathode resistor to see what the current looked in class B operation. The attached photo of the trace explains some of why Bigwill sees the significant high order harmonics. The cutoff is not as sharp as his model shows.

The top trace is across a 4R dummy load.

Attachments

• DSC02453.JPG
    DSC02453.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 92
The attached photo of the trace explains some of why Bigwill sees the significant high order harmonics. The cutoff is not as sharp as his model shows.

The sharpness of my cutoff may be due to my extensive (excessive?) local feedback. This could be a double edged sword, amazing performance in Class-A, but terrible AB!

bigwill; in order to get good FFT readings in LtSpice, it is important to:
- turn compression off. Use ".option plotwinsize=0"
- set maximum time step to a low value such as 1u
- make the time for saving data a multiple of the period, say 10ms

SveinB

I indeed do this - I also use a timestep of 100ns and simulate for 100ms, maybe this isn't optimal, it certainly takes a while too

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.