What has happened to WE Huntsville lately? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th May 2010, 01:51 AM   #11
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

There's gonna be a BIG problem for any company anywhere in the world that wants to or is making tubes... that is the demise of the CRT!!

The makers of CRTs used a tremendous amount of the same things that go into "ordinary" vacuum tubes and are essential to their manufacture. One can count on the suppliers of these "specialty" metals and materials to shortly (if they have not already) either go belly up or hike their prices through the roof in an attempt to continue to exist...

Imo, things do not look so rosy for the future of vacuum tubes - certainly not at the price points we have been enjoying for a while now...

_-_-bear
Old 11th May 2010, 02:15 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There's gonna be a BIG problem for any company anywhere in the world that wants to or is making tubes... that is the demise of the CRT!!.....Imo, things do not look so rosy for the future of vacuum tubes - certainly not at the price points we have been enjoying for a while now...
This FACT has not gone unnoticed by those at the very top of the guitar amp making business. These guys depend on a reliable supply of vacuum tubes in order to remain in business.
Old 11th May 2010, 02:32 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Kevin,
Thanks, great info. .
Found another Chatanooga news article with a interesting interview with Whitener. I rather regret some of my snicisim and unfounded critism; pure conjecture on my part. The man is striving to keep business and art form afloat while securing the jobs of valued long term employees and keep a historical product US made.
Owe him an apology and wish him success..........guess I'm in for a set of high end tubes made in Chattanooga. One thing I know about 'running a business' : You don't run it, It runs you.
Regtretfully, I've been burned on enough tubes to be judgmental towards the business as it is.
Charles
Old 11th May 2010, 03:47 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Don't worry folks, as soon as my powerball ticket hits I'll sink some money into a tube factory. Oh and I'll take special requests too!
Old 11th May 2010, 05:04 AM   #15
4season is offline 4season  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by astouffer View Post
don't worry folks, as soon as my powerball ticket hits i'll sink some money into a tube factory. Oh and i'll take special requests too! :d
emm801 + em34
Old 11th May 2010, 01:36 PM   #16
rmyauck is offline rmyauck  Canada
diyAudio Member

I read Bendix 6900 is great so that would be another!
Old 1st October 2012, 04:19 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default W&W Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmali View Post
Hey, I lived there for some years, and will go back to see some ol' friends next week... do you know, is W&W Electronics still around?
Marcus
Hi Marcus,
I am MR Bill Wallaces granddaughter. He did have to close the doors to the business a few years ago due to health issues. He misses going to work more than anything in the world!!
Old 10th October 2012, 07:43 PM   #18
wfmali is offline wfmali  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwallace119 View Post
Hi Marcus,
I am MR Bill Wallaces granddaughter. He did have to close the doors to the business a few years ago due to health issues. He misses going to work more than anything in the world!!
Please send him warm regards from one of his fomer clients (the one who always asked for the storage area to search for some toobs). His store was a real marvel for someone in radios or tubes or electronics in general, hard to find these days - I will always remember this and my time in Huntsville, AL.
Marcus
Old 19th September 2013, 03:19 AM   #19
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Here's something relatively newish from Whitener: Western Electric plugs into Rossville, makes vacuum tubes for audiophiles | timesfreepress.com

I looked for other newer threads, but my search skills are not up to snuff apparently.

Hide this!Advertise here!