Best current production 2a3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2010, 09:31 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best current production 2a3

I'd like buy a pair of good 2a3 triodes for my home made SE amp.Need advice which brand is the best (exept the Emission labs, 'cause it's expensive) of current productions 2a3-s?

Shuguang treasure or 2a3C with graphite anode, TJ, Fullmusic of Sofia mesh anode? Or another choice?

Thanks for help!
Old 7th May 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Add the Sovtek monoplate to your list of possibilities. It's quite decent in the sonics dept. and it will tolerate dissipation levels that destroy NOS.
Old 8th May 2010, 01:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Duttman View Post
Add the Sovtek monoplate to your list of possibilities. It's quite decent in the sonics dept. and it will tolerate dissipation levels that destroy NOS.
I'm not sure if monoplate is something different from what I tried but I've had a problem with Sovtek 2A3. Its current draw may be more than what their spec shows which exceeds the current handling capabilities of the regulator I was using for my SET amp. As a result, it dropped out of regulation and passed hum through to the output tubes. When switched to different 2A3, the hum was gone.
Old 8th May 2010, 04:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I'm building a SET amp right now that will use the Shuguang 2A3C tubes. I've heard a lot of great things about this tube. The cost should run you $80-$100 for a pair (bought mine on ebay). It looks like they use to be cheaper but, like everything else, has gone up in price. Still not a bad price, though.

I just bought my OPT last night. I went for a James JS-6112HS. It was in the right price range and was just enough for either 45s or 2A3s. I later found out that the next biggest James model- the JS6123HS is a much better OPT, but also a bigger jump in price. We'll see how they do.

When I get things up and running, I'll let you know my findings.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 8th May 2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

I am very happy with Electro Harmonix 2A3s. They are well made tubes and reasonably priced. Check Partsexpress site for current pricing.
Old 8th May 2010, 06:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'm using a pair of JJ 2a3-40 's. They sound very good, and I got them cheap. (30€ /piece)
However, just for reference, I'm going to order a pair of TJ meshplates. I never heard another 2a3 in my amp, so I'm curious about differences. Its going to happen in a month or so, if you want i'll get back here, and report the differences.

gr. Paul
Old 9th May 2010, 02:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I advice You RCA /200$ per pair....I'm not rich to buy cheep stuff.../
They sound amazing!

Hide this!Advertise here!